Morton Pickling/canning Salt

number20121

I looked for salt today for the fish and the only one that didn't mention the bad stuff in it was Morton Pickling/Canning Salt.

The thing with it is though it does not have ingredients listed AT ALL. It is the same brand as the others that had as ingredients listed "SALT / STUPID ANTI CAKING AGENT", so I SUPPOSE this one is just pure salt.

Still, I want to make sure it is the right stuff before I accidentally poison my babies.

I just looked on there website and it says it's pure salt with nothing added. No Iodine, No anti-caking agents either. So if you see it sticking together if it's humid that's a good thing. I would only add a little bit at first though just to be safe and incase they have a bad reaction. Looks like you got the right kind.

Edited by Haruka

That's what I used before and my fish Fuu had an immediate, horrible reaction to it! I would NOT use it if I were you. Nowadays the only salt I feel comfortable using is API aquarium salt.

Edited by Sakura

That's the kind I use. I have used it for years now!

I wonder if Fuu didn't have a salt intolerance, Sakura...

I don't think she had a salt intolerance because she did fine with API aquarium salt. What happened was almost immediately after I added the salt, her fins got super bloody red. Immediately after I took the salt out, they went back to normal. Perhaps there was an ingredient in the salt that most fish do fine with, but she was sensitive to.

Fang uniodized Kosher salt and uniodized Sea Salt are also two excellent choices of natural salt with zero additives and zero iodine. Your store should have both types available in your spice section and they're much less expensive than aquarium salt. ;)

Perhaps there was an ingredient in the salt that most fish do fine with, but she was sensitive to.

Canning/pickling salt is pure NaCl. There are no other ingredients. Maybe there was something that accidentally got mixed in after you opened the box.

I just don't want to scare people away from using this brand/type of salt because it is super inexpensive and pure NaCl -- so basically everything you are looking for in a medicinal salt!

No, there's no way anything got mixed in after I opened it. It's not 100% pure, it says on the box 97% pure. It also doesn't say what the other 3% may contain. All I know is I had a bad experience with it, and I will not use it again. I guess others can use it at their own risk, and if they have no problems... great!

We must be talking about a different type of salt then...My box says "Pure Salt, Nothing Added" on both front and back and one the side......

It looks like this:

MORTONS20CANNING20SALT.jpg

And I can certainly understand your reluctance to use something that gave you such bad results! :)

Same with one of the Morton's Kosher salts--the fine print indicated an additive. I guess the point is that not all "kosher" or "pickling" salts are the same--always be sure there are no additives, because it seems that some do have them, and some do not.

We must be talking about a different type of salt then...My box says "Pure Salt, Nothing Added" on both front and back and one the side......

It looks like this:

MORTONS20CANNING20SALT.jpg

And I can certainly understand your reluctance to use something that gave you such bad results! :)

This is exactly what I got. DURRRHURRR for me not reading the PURE SALT NOTHING ADDED on the front :lol1

I would prefer API aquarium salt too, but this Morton box cost me only 1.89 for 64oz, Pet$mart charges 4.49 for 33oz API.

This sure are significant savings when having to bring 55 gallons to .3% salt when doing bi-weekly water changes...

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang