Escaped Fish And Ill As Well

Guest mothership

Guest mothership

Hope someone can help please. Daughter has left her two goldfish here with someone who knows little about keeping fish!

Large 12cm fish developed what looked like open sores around anus and then bloody blotches at base of fins and tail and rubbing himself along the gravel. tested water and nitrates way too high.

Other fancy tailed fish not affected

Removed sick fish to another tank , probably rather small , and treated him for internal bacterial infection after seeking advice on various sites and after a day the symptoms were much better.

However today I came downstairs and he had jumped out of the tank having pushed the lid off!!

Thought he was gone but he moved when I picked him up, popped him back in tank and after about half hour he moved.

I saw advice to add Aquilibrium salt and added at 3% he righted himself and began to wriggle a bit. However the side he landed on the carpet was very ragged with bits of slime hanging off him.

Came back tonight to an unpleasant fishy smell , he is moving slightly and has swum down the tank, not eating. Water was cloudy. Have a bubbler in tank and a new filter in. Tested the water and nitrite, ammonia and nitrate all too high ph about 7.5 - 8 . Did a 30% water change added some sludge buster and filter start and replaced the salt taken out and left about another 3 hours and retested - still readings too high. How long do I leave it to do anything else? How long after adding things do I test?

Main tank we are setting up from scratch. What can I do to stop everything going pear shaped them!

Any advice very welcome please -

Hi there, and :welcome

I am sorry to hear that your fish are doing badly. Please answer these questions as best you can. They will give us a better idea of what we are dealing with.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

After you test your water and write down the EXACT numbers, please do a 100% water change. Remove the 3% salt, and don't add anymore. Adding all that salt at once has undoubtedly stressed your fish out, it may be the entire reason he is still doing so poorly.

Do you still have the filter media from your old filter? Is it still wet? If so, add that in to your new filter. Replacing your filter also replaces all the beneficial bacteria (BB) that live in your filter media. Without these good bugs, your water will turn foul fast.

Guest mothership

thanks

Have just filled tank with new water (65litres) with some sludge buster, filter start to help the bug situation. The filters in this were wet and washed and sitting in the old tank water. This has some salt in less than 3%. Is it worth trying him in this rather than leaving in the small hospital tank and not adding anything more. It means he will be in there for the start of the new cycling -

All the advice seems so varied its difficult to know what to do

I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

What I advise you do is this:

EMPTY the tank completely and fill it with all new water.

DO NOT add any salt.

Keep your filters going, add the OLD media back in to your NEW filter.

TEST your water every few (6-8) hours.

FILL OUT the questionnaire that I copied in my first post. Here is is again. I really need this information, otherwise I'm working blind.

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Guest mothership

[

have put him in the new tank of water tested before I put him in. results below for new tank

[*]Ammonia Level? 0 -0.1

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 0

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Interpret and tablets

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 65litres

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Interpret pf3 80- 120 litres

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? last week 50 % change before the problems began

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 12cm and 8cm

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? interpret filter start, sludge buster, tap safe

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? peas, blood worms and veg flakes has been twice a day but cut back to once lately

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? melafix but not at present

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? seems to have recovered from blood blotches I reported in first post. looks a bit darker Bruised on his bottom edge no longer showing threads of his slime from his crashing to the floor this morning a leap of about 3 feet!

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Having just put him in the new tank , his fins are up and he is no longer on the bottom of the tank and has swum gently round the tank , slightly listing to one side, but the two fins each side of his gills did not seem to be working quite together and this is the side I found him on this morning when he jumped. bottom haf of tail a bit reluctant to move

Have tried him on a pea in last tank and some one or two blood worms but not interested.

I have left the other fish out of the tank - not sure whether to put him in with him at present or wait until tomorrow.

I can see quite a few problems that could be causing his problems.

First and foremost: you are VERY overstocked. We recommend having no less than 37L for every goldfish, if they are the facy-tailed type. And DOUBLE that for single tailed types. What type are your fish? Please try and get a bigger home for them ASAP. In a pinch (if you can't afford a glass tank) a rubber-type storage bin will work. Until then, you will need to do daily water changes of AT LEAST 75%.

Secondly: your tank is not cycled. Probably due to #1 and the fact that you took out your old filter. This means you will need to do DAILY WATER CHANGES of at least 75%.

Next, why are you using "Sludge Buster?" I don't think this is necessary in tanks, and will only stress your fish out more. Please do not add this in with your next water change.

I also am not familiar with your filter. How many liters per hour does it flow? For goldfish you need AT LEAST 10x filtration per hour (for double tails, that's 370lph, for singles it's 740lph).

Don't try to feed him any more. Adding more food right now will only deteriorate your water further. Syphon out any old food that is sitting on the bottom of the tank. He can go quite a while without food and not suffer. So try not to feed him today or tomorrow, and try him on a good quality pelleted food or home-made gel sometime on Wednesday.

Also, do you have any gravel or rocks on the bottom? How often do you vacuum them?

Have you ever treated your fish for parasites? Have you ever used "Wormer Plus?" Jumping is often a sign of parasite infection. There is a great list of UK medications found in the "International Help" section of the main forum. I suggest looking around in there and then when we start talking about medication, you will have an idea of what/where to look.

:) Hope this helps. Please post back, I really want to help your fish!

Guest mothership

With the bigger tank they both grew rapidly and have been in it happily for a couple of years .

Do I check the readings before or after the water change? I am presuming I still add the tap safe with the change- hard water and chlorinated here.

How do you change the water without stressing them out?

He's still with me this morning, tail moving better as one and front fins in a pedalling motion if not together! Occasional list and then he rights himself - very little mouth and gill movement.

He's in bottom half of tank treading water but his fins look a bit ragged this morning with a visible white line aling the back of the tail and his fins. he obviously lost his slime coat on the carpet - will this grow back naturally?

He looked more interested when I looked through at him and moved more - he's missing his mate I think - Poor Jokkers came to my daughter as someone left him in a teapot when they moved out of the flat 2inches then!

I was treating him for internal bacterial problem and treating him with this seems to have cleared his bloody blotches and this happened.

I have nothing in the bottom of the tank at present, have had gravel and hoovered twice this week. Have some elodea in as I was told this was good for helping.

Again told sludge buster would help with the waste.

How does anyone go on holiday keeping goldfish?

Thanks for your help

I can see quite a few problems that could be causing his problems.

First and foremost: you are VERY overstocked. We recommend having no less than 37L for every goldfish, if they are the facy-tailed type. And DOUBLE that for single tailed types. What type are your fish? Please try and get a bigger home for them ASAP. In a pinch (if you can't afford a glass tank) a rubber-type storage bin will work. Until then, you will need to do daily water changes of AT LEAST 75%.

Secondly: your tank is not cycled. Probably due to #1 and the fact that you took out your old filter. This means you will need to do DAILY WATER CHANGES of at least 75%.

Next, why are you using "Sludge Buster?" I don't think this is necessary in tanks, and will only stress your fish out more. Please do not add this in with your next water change.

I also am not familiar with your filter. How many liters per hour does it flow? For goldfish you need AT LEAST 10x filtration per hour (for double tails, that's 370lph, for singles it's 740lph).

Don't try to feed him any more. Adding more food right now will only deteriorate your water further. Syphon out any old food that is sitting on the bottom of the tank. He can go quite a while without food and not suffer. So try not to feed him today or tomorrow, and try him on a good quality pelleted food or home-made gel sometime on Wednesday.

Also, do you have any gravel or rocks on the bottom? How often do you vacuum them?

Have you ever treated your fish for parasites? Have you ever used "Wormer Plus?" Jumping is often a sign of parasite infection. There is a great list of UK medications found in the "International Help" section of the main forum. I suggest looking around in there and then when we start talking about medication, you will have an idea of what/where to look.

:) Hope this helps. Please post back, I really want to help your fish!

I know that it seems that the tank is big enough for them, but it isn't. Goldfish produce tons of waste (as you can tell from your cycle). There is a great link in my signature about cycling that also kind of explains the reason why goldfish need so much room. Please check it out.

Yes, continue to add "Tap Safe" to your water before you add it to the tank as this is called a dechlorinator and makes the water safe by removing the chlorine which would otherwise kill your fish.

To change a large amount of water you have to move your fish to a separate container. Put him in a large tupperware or bucket filled with OLD tank water, change as much water as you need to in your tank, then return him to his home.

If his front fins (pectoral fins) aren't moving together, that's fine. They often don't. If they moved together all the time, he would only be capable of going in a straight line! :)

Don't worry about his slime coat, he will grow that back. It's a lot like mucus or spit to us. If we spit it out of our mouths, more will come along to take it's place.

Sludge buster will not help with the waste. It will only cause more problems. Adding any chemicals that aren't necessary (i.e. your Tap Safe is necessary) will only stress the fish out, mess with your water chemistry, and do long term damage to your cycle and your fish.

I think right now, the best thing you can do for Jokkers is to give him clean clear water. That means those 75% daily water changes I mentioned earlier.

Guest mothership

[

thanks for the reply

Changing the water after work again, his tail and edges of his fins are looking quite shredded and he has an occasional lurch to the right and drops a bit.

When I change the water do I need to do anything about his fins - wondered if he was getting fin rot. Any melafix a good idea? If so how much and all at once? Sorry I am really new at this and not by choice but I want to do the best I can for him. he's not a youngster 6years, neither is his mate who is now 9yrs old.

Still have to tell daughter about them!

quote name=ryukin girl' timestamp='1289910301' post='997301]

I know that it seems that the tank is big enough for them, but it isn't. Goldfish produce tons of waste (as you can tell from your cycle). There is a great link in my signature about cycling that also kind of explains the reason why goldfish need so much room. Please check it out.

Yes, continue to add "Tap Safe" to your water before you add it to the tank as this is called a dechlorinator and makes the water safe by removing the chlorine which would otherwise kill your fish.

To change a large amount of water you have to move your fish to a separate container. Put him in a large tupperware or bucket filled with OLD tank water, change as much water as you need to in your tank, then return him to his home.

If his front fins (pectoral fins) aren't moving together, that's fine. They often don't. If they moved together all the time, he would only be capable of going in a straight line! :)

Don't worry about his slime coat, he will grow that back. It's a lot like mucus or spit to us. If we spit it out of our mouths, more will come along to take it's place.

Sludge buster will not help with the waste. It will only cause more problems. Adding any chemicals that aren't necessary (i.e. your Tap Safe is necessary) will only stress the fish out, mess with your water chemistry, and do long term damage to your cycle and your fish.

I think right now, the best thing you can do for Jokkers is to give him clean clear water. That means those 75% daily water changes I mentioned earlier.