Hikari Spirulina Brine Shrimp

So I was so excited to get a huge box of this in the mail today. So OBVIOUSLY I had to try it out ASAP!

The stuff smells REALLY good. Like fresh algae. BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT it FLOATS and breaks apart very easily. :( :( :(

Any of you have used it? If I soak it for longer will it eventually sink?

I tried giving a few bits to the little ones - I think they smelled it because they went CRAZY - but they couldn't find it as they never eat floating food :(

I guess that if I cannot get it to sink I will use it in my gel food.

They won't eat unhatched brine shrimp eggs. They will suck them up and spit it right back out.

I suggest making a brine shrimp gel.

Mix some of your brine shrimp in with REALLY hot water (not boiling, but fresh off the boil) that should coax the brine to sink. Then add 1pkg of gelatin for every 1/4c of water you added. Then treat it like any other gel food. :)

Good luck, hope it works! ;)

As long as you keep all the water you've soaked them in, it should be fine. Soaking it in water may leach some vits out, but once you pour the gelatin in, they will be captured and kept in the gel. If you were to drain them, then it would be a problem. :)

Federica, I feed mine Tetra Freeze Dried Shrimp. Decided to do an experiment and they won't absorb enough water to sink at all. As Sarah suggests I'd use it in your gel food as I don't want mine at the surface gulping down any air that they don't need. I've quit feeding them the freeze dried shrimp until I can get the time to make some of my own gel food which then I'll add the shrimp.