Nitrites Detected Suddenly In Already Cycled 55 Gallons...

dnalex

Hello. I have a 55 gallon with 6 juvenile fancy goldfish. The tank had been up and running cycled since the beginning of September. Water parameters have been excellent, and I have been able to maintain the tank at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and about 5-10 nitrate. Today, I checked the water and found that my ammonia is 0, but nitrite is between 0.5 - 1, and nitrate is about 20. I haven't done anything differently, except that I changed the water yesterday.

What should I do? Should I do another WC today? Why is nitrite suddenly detectable in my tank? Please help. Thank you in advance! :-)

• Admin

Did you add any fish or live plants to the tank in a month?

That level I would do another small say 30% water change, Also you could add a couple tablespoons of Aquiruam salt to help keep it safe for them.

Also you could help the cycle bump, by putting some "Nutrafin Cycle" in there... Some times this stuff will add enough back to the cycle in the tank so it goes back to cycled :)

Did you add any fish or live plants to the tank in a month?

That level I would do another small say 30% water change, Also you could add a couple tablespoons of Aquiruam salt to help keep it safe for them.

Also you could help the cycle bump, by putting some "Nutrafin Cycle" in there... Some times this stuff will add enough back to the cycle in the tank so it goes back to cycled :)

I did not add any new fish, and my tank is all artificial plants. One thing I neglected to mention in my earlier post is that one of mystery snails recently died. I had thought he was only being antisocial, but he is definitely dead. Do you think that could have contributed to the nitrite spike? I am doing WC now and will add extra salt. Will go to LFS to get the recommended product. Thank you!

• Admin

Oh yeah that would have done it :o Anything that dies can make ammonia then nitrites in the tank.... So yeah just do what i mentioned and the cycle should go back to normal :)

Thank you for your very rapid reply and for the advice. My goldies are growing nicely, and I would be very upset if something were to happen to them. That poor snail! I left him in there for a few days, thinking he was just being very sedentary, but when I pulled him out of the tank today, the smell dispelled that notion. In any case, I've done tje WC and added a bit extra salt. I'll add the other product later. However, I think at least for now things are ok. Nitrites are just barely there, and nitrate is around 10. I'll do daily checks just to make sure.

• Admin

Cool hun. yeah sometimes just a water change will do the trick... I know how you feel, if anything goes wrong with mine I get really worried about them....:(

But we are always here to help :panana