Huh...

bodoba

Well I was always under the impression that a larger tank required longer to cycle. I expected my 90 gal to take about 6 months to cycle then I wouldn't have to worry about fish before moving. But it's been uh....3 wks? And my ammonia has already spiked to 1. Last week my nitrates were at 0.5.

My original theory was that my one cat peed in the tank. But, I figure that would smell and I would probably notice. I was hoping to establish nitrates before introducing a few plants but it looks like I can add plants already. Still need to make a pump cage before I add any fish though, don't want to lose any.

Anyone else have a 90 gal tank or higher? If you didn't seed it, how long did it take you?

(if this should be moved to water quality I apologize)

I have an 85Gal and it took me about 3 (VERY painful) months to cycle. In my case it was getting rid of the nitrites which took the longest!

Yeah seeing as I'm moving in April I just have the filter finally made and am working on a cycle. My massive sponge will preserve it and will be far easier to move than fish. I wasn't even expecting to be able to get fish before then. I was going to get a few plants and such but to get fish after we move.

I'm confused... you didn't add any ammonia to the tank at all, yet it somehow is reading at 1ppm?

And last week your nitrates were already at 0.5? The API kit doesn't have a reading that low for nitrates, did you mean nitrites?

Can you test your tap water to see if you have ammonia, nitrites or nitrates in there?

Well I have an API Nitrate drop kit along with an API ammonia drop kit. The tapwater I've tested 5 times in the past 6 months and it comes out 0 ppm. The nitrates with the tapwater are 5 ppm. The ammonia could be an issue in the future but seeing as it is just going to be for plants at the present moment, if there is always ammonia present then the plants will just grow more.

When I move, we'll see what the tapwater is there. I'm sure the fact that we will be switching will show some difference. If in a year after a move and stabilizing plant life in the aquarium the ammonia lvls are still high I guess I will just scrap the cycle and start fresh.

My next step though is pH testing and adding the appropriate amount of agitation to stabilize it....but need to deal with expensive back issues first...