Hello From Ontario Canada

BenJoly

Hello everyone, just a quick introduction. My name is Ben I've been in the aquarium hobby for about 13 years. I've kept pretty much everything. I use to have a fishroom of around 30 tanks with a variety of East/West African cichlids as well as South/Central American cichlids. Because of work and constant moving I have not had a fishroom for a couple of years, however I've continued to have a few tanks running. For the pass few years I've helped build and maintain ponds and other water features, which has developed into a fulltime business for me started in the spring of 2010. I purchased a variety of pond fish for my clients which has lead to a new passion for goldfish and I am interested in getting into some of the more fancier types and possibly starting a new breeding project, which is how I found this forum. Currently I a few domestic koi, comets, shubunkins and orandas. I will be moving again soon and hope to finally settle at which time I will look into building a new fishroom. I'm glad I have found this site and I look forward to sharing and reading information here.

Thanks,

Ben

:welcome Ben. It will be nice getting to know you through the forums, with all your experience in fish keeping you'll be able to give some interesting advice. :)

Yes if you have any pond questions I would be happy to answer them. I have built about 30 ponds and water features so far. I do have some in my gallery on my webpage www.myaquaticoasis.com I am currently looking at a new webpage set up and hope to upload all the pictures to my portfolio. I also have some on my facebook account you can look me up and add me as a friend, just send me a message with the friend request stating that you are from Koko's and I will add you

Ben Joly

Yes if you have any pond questions I would be happy to answer them. I have built about 30 ponds and water features so far. I do have some in my gallery on my webpage www.myaquaticoasis.com I am currently looking at a new webpage set up and hope to upload all the pictures to my portfolio. I also have some on my facebook account you can look me up and add me as a friend, just send me a message with the friend request stating that you are from Koko's and I will add you

Ben Joly

That would be great. Thank you. The pond photos from your webside look really nice. Do you have your own pond aswell?

Ben Joly

That would be great. Thank you. The pond photos from your webside look really nice. Do you have your own pond aswell?

I know the question is not really directed at me but I would like to say YES, I do,I have one medium pond fixed into soil in my garden containing four very large goldfish which have recently been switched to heating

Ben Joly

I'm like the mechanic with the worst car. I never did get a chance to finish my pond, we just sold our house and will be moving soon. So no I do not have my own pond, however I treat all my customers ponds like they were mine. I will have a small deck pond this year just to keep some of my pond fish in over the winter, maybe around 200g. I am kind of in transition right now. I have an application in with the Canadian Coast Guard, I am currently in the testing stage, if that goes through then I might be moving out of province. If it doesn't go through I will be looking at opening a dedicatted pond shop and expanding my pond build business.

So far my biggest pond I've build was a two tierd pond with a small stream in between. The upper section was around 12 feet long 8 feet wide with a 6x6 waterfall, flowing into an 8x8x7 feet deep pond with a fountain.

Ben Joly

I know the question is not really directed at me but I would like to say YES, I do,I have one medium pond fixed into soil in my garden containing four very large goldfish which have recently been switched to heating

That's great, ponds seem to be a big thing in the UK. I've looked into swim ponds, which I've read are the latest thing there. They are starting to pop up here in Canada, they advertise them as swim ponds for the summer and ice rinks for the winter...

I prefer liner ponds as I think you can make them look more natural, however I have also used plastic resevoirs