Amount Of Gelatin In Homemade Food

jody

I spent a lot of time on my last batch or gel food. I bought a steamer for various veggies, deshelled about 100 peas, used good quality fish food, etc. One thing I added 1 and 3/4 pouches or the knox gelatin.The food itself after blending turned out to be about a cup in a half. I read before that 1 pouch should be used per cup of food. Anyhow my food really seems gelly this time. Will it be okay for the fish or will too much gelatin harm the fish?

Edited by Hawaiian Crush

I noticed Peepers floaty since I made the batch. Looks like I am going to try again. I just checked the package and it says 1 pack for every 1 1/2 cups of solid. Looks like I added almost twice as much.

Well I make about 2 1/2 cups of food, and I use 2 packages of the knox gelatin but I use little jars of baby food and no commercial fish food in it, so it is very runny before I gel it. It makes a soft gel that kinda makes a mess in the tank but the goldies end up cleaning everything. ;)

This is real interesting. I have some goldies that I have seen float on gel. Probably because, like you, I also usually make it quite hard. I preferred it this way because it keeps the tank a lot cleaner :ignore But I will try to make it softer if that works.

Guest Mike and Linda

I usually get my recipies from the GAB. I usually make enough gel for 4 months and bag it really well so that it will not get freezer burn. One recipie says 4 gelatine to 3 cups of water and the other says 4 gelatine to 5 cups of water. I find that this works pretty good.

I usually put 4 veggies per gel food. I use Kale, collards, dandilion leaves, fresh spinach, parsley, grn beans, beet grns and leeks.

I want to find 4 more different ones that are not gassy any suggestions?? I know that broccoli, asparagus are gassy so I stay away from these.

I always add multi vit no iron, vit C, calcium carbonate, acidophilus, flax seed oil to my gels.

I am starting to look on kokos for good gel food recipies.