Plant Apocalypse

CatfishSoup

i have a ton of plants in my tank, and then some of the resent ones are completely gone. the red crypts .. gone, i knew that red colored plants are hard to take care of but not that hard. my asian ambulias are just barely making it. my rotala nanjenshens or however you spell em, been messed up for months. my anubia seems to be growing with quite a bit of algae on it and now my large brazilian sword plant is like dying for every new leaf it grows. they grow and instantly become clear and sorta webby looking. i googled that, and they say that happens when they lack in light.

OH and i have this mystery plant. had no name at the lfs and the people didnt even know what it was. it was sooo beautiful. then it grew 1000 feet, did the palm tree affect and since its soo tall with the light so close (and not even good lights) its losing volume and getting brown algae on the leaves. thankfully its growing a new one :D

the only thing that is actually growing fine is my bronze crypt, my java moss, java fern and some mini green crypts i have.

i also fertilize the plants so i dunno. i do the 25-30 percent water change and so that helps too.

i have been DYING to upgrade my lights. to some high output t5 but there has been soo many delays getting it and at this point, i really do feel that the reason for them dying is that i have so many plants, they are growing fast, and well they lack in a good amount of watts. im pretty sure i only have like 2-3watts per gallon, which is garbage for a heavily plants tank. i have so many bald spots now and i plan for more plants but i really do think i need these lights.

do you think thats what the whole issue is about? the lack of watts per gallon? they get a good 8-10 hours of light plus natural light but no luck. it did save me for months but it seems like now the plants are demanding better lights.

• Admin

If you have alot of plants in there that require light and you dont have enough, they will start to wither away hun. I had this problem with my swords till I got a compact light system....Also if the water flow on the top of the tank is to strong your loosing co2 in the day time and this is what they also use as food hun :(

If you have alot of plants in there that require light and you dont have enough, they will start to wither away hun. I had this problem with my swords till I got a compact light system....Also if the water flow on the top of the tank is to strong your loosing co2 in the day time and this is what they also use as food hun :(

yeah :( cheap co2 rigs are useless, and DIY i dunno. a bit cheap ish. so i was hoping that at least good water changes and lighting shall make things better. if not, im just going have to sell my kidney and buy a co2 system as well. thought about it a lot months ago but decided not to get it. lights first, back up co2. UGH !

Some DIY Co2 rigs can be really effective. Might be worth a shot for the 5 bucks you will pay for a bottle and the ingredients and tubing (dont forget a check valve on the line to stop any frothing from the bottle reaching your tank :krazy: had that happen once)

If you have the traditional no brand generic rectangle aquarium like me (the one with the coverglasses and whatnot), you can make cheap DIY lighting too using really bright/high wattage bulbs or tubes mounted in house guttering. They look professional, and if you have a hood on your tank you cant see them anyway. ;)

Some DIY Co2 rigs can be really effective. Might be worth a shot for the 5 bucks you will pay for a bottle and the ingredients and tubing (dont forget a check valve on the line to stop any frothing from the bottle reaching your tank :krazy: had that happen once)

If you have the traditional no brand generic rectangle aquarium like me (the one with the coverglasses and whatnot), you can make cheap DIY lighting too using really bright/high wattage bulbs or tubes mounted in house guttering. They look professional, and if you have a hood on your tank you cant see them anyway. ;)

id be too scared to potentially mess up with the lighting so i shall hopefully just buy a good setXD as for diy co2. i might consider. if the plants still seem like they needa bit more then i shall attempt it. i have done a load of research before on it figuring things out but in the end never did it. my buddy sorta made his on diy co2 but it was pretty hardcore. intense valves and what not and diffuser, as well as a giant co2 tank and a timer. i shall def. start looking into it again, as i will be treating a 55 gallon so i gotta figure out how much im going to need and what not. if i, about to do it, i shall make a new thread or something so you wonderful peoples helps me outs. :P