Meet My Three New Green Chromis

caitie

I like gobies too. :) But they are quite expensive here so I want to start with a cheaper marine fish first, just to be sure that I can keep them alive. :unsure:

My confidence has taken a bit of a beating, marine fishes aren't at all like freshwater so many things can go wrong. :( So now I'm back to doing some research to decide what fish to try. Oh and I'm going to get them from another supplier, the one I got the chromis from just doesn't inspire confidence. His store is very nice and clean, and I've rarely seen any sick or dead fish in his tanks but when I got the chromis home I tested the water in the bag and his salinity was about 1.018 which is in hyposalinity. Usually you need to keep marine fishes around 1.021 - 1.025. I keep mine tanks at 1.026. Usually keeping marine fish in such low salinity is very stressful for the fish and it is done when you suspect they have resistant parasites. The least he could have done was to warn us, if I hadn't done a drip acclimatation on them I would have shocked them with the difference in salinity. :(

oh wow... :0 Good thing you tested the water.

I don't see many stores carrying saltwater fish etc here. Only one store has them and he only has the large fish for the large reef tanks. My friend in Holland just branched off now (he only specializes in Koi and some fancy goldies). Anyways, he is slowly starting and last time I went he had some extremely cute small Nemos. Don't those grow big? He had some awesome black ones too. The rest of the stock tanks were still cycling tho :)

• 1 year later...

I find when you get the hang of marine fish you have less of them dying in the end, though it very much in a practice thing. Blennies are also interesting fish, though I'd warn against a Starry Blennie if it'll end up being the biggest fish in the tank, I had to remove mine because he became very aggressive :/