Meet My Three New Green Chromis

caitie

Well we finally got our three green chromis. :rockon But they were quite a bit smaller than I expected, so I had to cover the AC 110 filter intake so they wouldn't be sucked up poor babies. The two smaller ones are more blue than green, when I look at them they almost look like a light purple but it doesn't show up in the video. They both got comfortable as soon as they were in the tank. :happydance Unfortunately the bigger one, who is actually a nice bright green doesn't look too good. He panicked and has been hiding behind the heater since I put him in the tank. We'll have to wait and see how he does in the next few days.

I hope you enjoy this short video. :)

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid634.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fuu70%2Fcaitie_bucket%2Fgreenchromiswelcome_0004.mp4">

The mollies are being pushy only during feeding time. :rolleyes: But the chromis are so much faster that I don't think the there will be a problem. If all goes well with these we might be getting a small ocellaris clownfish. :yeah: And maybe a cute little clown goby. :9 We'll see. The thing is if we do that then the mollies will have to be rehomed, which really bothers me. I like these little guys. :rolleyes: If I do rehome them then I have two options, I can try to give them to one of the marine stores if they'll have them, or I can bring them slowly back to freshwater and then my brother would keep them in his 20 gallon tropical tank. :undecided:

I have plenty of time to think this through because we aren't doing anything else to that tank till after the holidays so, the mollies are safe for now. :)

i shall one day have an epic salt water tank.. i wouldnt mind a few years from now going small scale with like a nano cube but then you have like 2 fish. and you want more but you cant.. its just an addiction haha. i went from one ten gallon with plastic plants. to all real plants, to 2 heavily planted ten gals, to one 55 gall heavily planted XD

Thank you guys, yeah they are really cute, very active. :D

Federica, yes I should have a qt procedure, you need to set up at least a 10 gallon with a good filter, some aeration and the salt water, but I don't have one. :blink: So I do what I would never ever do with my freshwater, I just plopped them in. And now I'm paying for it because Moe the big green one died early this morning, and I'm really hoping the stress killed him and not some sort of disease. :(

Jls you are so right it is an addiction whether in freshwater or salt water. In the saltwater department I started with a nano cube of 7 gallons, then I got the 29 gallon and now I have 1/2 gallon pico, it just never ends. :yeah:

Thanks! :)

The two little ones are hyper. It's incredible, they are driving the mollies mad. :D But it sure makes the tank interesting to watch.

Now that I see how the two liven up the tank I really want to get a few more. But I am feeling so guilty about not doing a qt and I'm really worried that Moe introduced something into the main tank before dying, not much I can do now but wait and hope. But I will be adding an AC 20 with a sponge and some biomax in it to the 29 gallon. Since I won't be getting the new fish until after the holidays this will seed my filter and then when I get the new fish I will set up a small 5 gallon tank with the AC 20 and some water from the main tank, and use that as a qt tank. Unless I can sneak in another 10 gallon which would be even better. ;)

Thanks Shell. :) I'm still fascinated with them, they are so quick. You should see them zipping around the tank. The only time they slow down is when they sleep. They even stole the mollies sleeping quarters. :D

I'm sure you'll soon be able to set up another saltwater tank to get yourself a new Dory. :hug

Thank you both. :) The longer they are in the tank the more confident they are. And their color is starting to become even brighter, I'll have to try and get some good pics of them.

Unfortunately my dalmatian molly (Mrs Molly) is not doing well. Yesterday she ate like a pig, stealing all food. When I turned off the lights she was just chilling out with her huge tummy. This morning she had regained her shape but she is barely swimming and she refused to eat all day, all she does is shimmy. :( I hope it's just a really really bad case of indigestion and not something she caught because I didn't qt. :doh11: I would never ever do that in freshwater but I risk it in my reefs. :wall Anyways I will update tomorrow to let you know how she is doing.

So a quick update on Mrs Molly, Meeny and Miny. Mrs Molly is not 100% yet, she is still not swimming around and her fins are clamped more often than not. But she did manage to eat a little bit, although she spit out a lot of the food. :( I think she caught whatever Moe had, but she might just be strong enough to make it. I hope.

Meeny was nowhere to be found this morning. :o Finally I found him hiding behind the AC filter intake head up tail down, and gasping like crazy. :ill He seems to have developed what Moe had too. :(

Miny on the other hand seems to think he is a molly, he follows the big guys all around, irritating them like crazy. :rofl

Unfortunately I have a sad update. I had put Meeny in a colander to give him some rest but he just passed away poor baby. :cry1 I can't figure out what is killing them except maybe the stress of moving. They have no sign of anything being wrong except the rapid breathing and the lethargy. :undecided:

Now I'm really worried for Mrs Molly. I hope she'll be alright. :( I am never ever skipping qt again. If I can't qt then I won't get fish that's it. I'm so mad at myself for doing something so stupid. :wall

As of today Mrs. Molly seems to be back to normal. :) I'm so relieved! But Miny the remaining chromis has decided he is not eating any more. He isn't gasping like the other two were, but he doesn't swim much and no eating. :undecided: I'm hoping it is just that he is all alone of his sort and that he will snap out of it soon.

On to another subject I just learned that you should do a freshwater /methylene blue dip before you put them in qt! :o So I guess I know what I will be doing when I buy new fish for the reef tanks. It's a little bit scary to do tho, I know some fish can die if you don't remove them quickly enough but they also have to be in the dip long enough to get rid of the parasites and all the other things that can hitch a ride on them. :unsure:

And then there was none. :( I just lost the last little Chromis Meeny. :cry1

I'm not sure if we'll be getting more, they are sure cute but if they are going to die off like that I think I'd rather try another fish.

Oh no... :(

What about Gobies? I saw one in a nano saltwater tank they had in the Koi store in holland - he looked so cute - and very colorful.