My Giant Bargain Tank!

flutterbudget

For those of you who haven't heard the story, I found this tank on craigslist. It was a listing for an upcoming yardsale and it said simply "aquarium" among the list of things that would be for sale. I emailed to ask how big it was and how much they were asking, and the guy said it was a 55 and they wanted $45 for it, including the stand (!) Long story short, it turned out to be a 75 (!!!) and absolutely FILTHY but in otherwise good shape.

Here it is literally taking up my entire bathroom, after the disgusting crud was cleaned out as we were rinsing and rinsing some more to get all the bleach out.

100_3502.jpg

And here it is on the stand. I still have some work to do on those hard water stains and I think this is not going to be its final location, but look!

100_3509.jpg

Not a 55.

100_3507.jpg

And all for $45!!! Well, plus some gas for my mother-in-law's car I had to borrow. But still! :bounce

Awesome! That's the exact same tank I have! It's an Oceanic brand, they are very good sturdy tanks! I have a 55 and a 75- wouldn't have any other brand! Mine were both bought second hand and were filthy when I got them as well. But you got a much better deal than I did. I paid $150 for the 55, and $250 for the 75. Great find! :D

Yeah, once we got it clean, I found part of a label that said "anic", so I thought it was probably oceanic. And at first I thought the wood trim was real wood, which would have made it pretty ancient, but now that's it's not so gunky it looks more like veneer. I would have proably chosen black trim personally, because I think it's more versatile, but I'm just happy to have found such a great deal! I'm really excited about it. I'm kinda afraid what will happen if my landlord sees it, because I'm pretty sure when he ok'd "fish tank" this is not what he had in mind. :rofl

Yeah it's not real wood, but I think it looks more real than some of the more flimsy tanks at least. I prefer black trim as well, but hey... you take what you can get! :) Oceanic does make tanks with black trim as well, but they are the newer type. Yeah... we are not even allowed fish tanks in my apartment technically! But they've seen the tanks many times and never said anything so... :idont

Think of all the new fish you can get now!! :D

We aren't allowed any pets, except he said a fish tank would be ok. But I know he didn't mean this one! Our apartment is a 4-plex and his house it next door. But he's only been in here twice in the last year and it was for stuff we called him about. So maybe I can get away with it. I really wasn't planning on anything this big right now, but I was looking for a 20 for my husband and I found this instead! There was no way I was not getting it.

And I am so excited about all the fish I can have in there! I keep looking at my tiny little oranda and thinking he'll be just lost in there!

That is an awesome tank, great bargain :Congrats: Can't wait to see it running :)

Thanks! I can't wait too!

Right now, I think it looks fine the way it is. But I was just telling my husband earlier that if we wanted a defferent look at some point, it wouldn't be hard to paint or refinish that stand and the trim.

Is it weird that I keep going to look at the empty tank? :))

thats an epic price. it is a bit beaten up but if you really put your try hard pants on, and maybe sanded it and polished itup. give it a face lift again. it will look sooo good

This looks great, I'm so happy you found such a great deal! I suppose there was no hood/lights/filter etc included, right? But even so, the huge tank and stand for $ 45 is like hitting the lottery.

There are glass covers for most of it that aren't in the picture because they are still being cleaned. I think they need to soak in vinegar. Remains to be seen how they will clean up. And it did come with a light, but I'm a little scared of it. Lol! I guess it's an old kind I've never dealt with. It has a metal box part way down the cord that I'm guessing is the ballast or something? I'm going to have to experiment with it and see if it works or not.

thats an epic price. it is a bit beaten up but if you really put your try hard pants on, and maybe sanded it and polished itup. give it a face lift again. it will look sooo good

The tank itself is really not bad. The bottom is the only place I even see any scratches really. It does still have a LOT of hard water stains and calcium build-up type stuff. That's my project for today. The stand looks like it might have been chewed on by a puppy on a couple of corners, and I figure at some point I'll refinish it and it will be good as new. But here I don't really have any place to work on it, so I'm not so worried rigth now. It's really not that bad as it is.

Edited by flutterbudget

I forgot to mention it also came with an Aquatech 20-40 filter and one of those $5 air pumps. I dunno what he was thinking there with those choices... My 30 came with the same filter. They are SO loud. I never used the one on the 30, and I think I'll try to sell them both and see if I can get a few bucks.

And Dennis, :pp