Oh The Butters War Continues

ashlee18

Ok. So butters has been fully pineconed and bloated for about two weeks now. Other than the scale falling off she shows no other signs of getting worse. She still swims and eats like a normal goldie. She has been out of the epsom for about 4 days now. Should I just continue with what im doing? she has been on the jungle ap food for two weeks for the second time. Since she has had dropsy for a full two months now, im wondering if I should continue trying to treat her or if its a lost cause. I don't want to put her through any unnecessary pain. But she just doesn't seem to be getting better. She isn't as spunky as she once was but I think she misses her tankmate. I do want to keep trying with her, she is my favorite. What do you all think?

I had one fish (Isis) who was dropsied and bloated pretty badly for a couple of weeks too. She acted mostly normal during the whole time, she never bottom sat or got stuck to the filter intakes. Towards the end she seemed a little sluggish, but she always still acted happy to see me and eat food. I think as long as Butters is acting alright, you should just keep doing what you're doing. I think this might be organ failure related since it's all-over dropsy and still hasn't improved, in which case she'll die on her own time. But I never got the impression that Isis was in pain at all, even to the very end, and it sounds like Butters isn't either.

I think you should try ordering some MetroMeds from Goldfish Connection in the future instead of using Jungle AP. I always used Jungle AP food too on my dropsy fish, and now I am trying MetroMeds for the first time with Padme (latest dropsy case) and she is actually improving. I'm not saying it's because of the MM's... because I don't know if the cause for dropsy is the same in all of these cases. But I think it could be that the MM's are making a difference as opposed to the Jungle AP food.

Well Butters made the decision for me. She passed sometime in the night. Last night she ate a few pellets but was mostly uninterested. This morning, she was gone. She wasn't stuck to the filter or wedged into a spot so I hope she went peacefully. She was in her favorite feeding spot. RIP Butters :(