Oh The Butters War Continues

ashlee18

Butters dropsied AGAIN...either that or she wasn't 100% over it from the second time. She is pretty much fully pineconed this time but still spunky as can be. She is back in the newly sterilized hospital tank. The tank is a ten gallon with three filters, one tetra 40 and one 20 and one sponge filter for a 40 gallon tank with a 40 gallon whisper air pump. Well over the 10X filtration. I used a different tank than the main tank to seed two of the filters. The temp is now at 78*, epsom and crushed coral added. I'll start the AB food again tomorrow.

Wendy, the pearlscale with popeye, developed a bubble on her butt and is now in the tank with Butters.

Is there anything more that I can do?

The main tank is at 0/0/<5 and at 78*. There is a fine layer of sand, so fine that there are some bare spots, and no ornaments at all. Two filters are one AC 70 and Penguin pro 400 and one 24 watt sterilizer. One filter is new and the other was just scrubbed out. I do 50% water changes every three days. If one more fish develops dropsy, I'm tearing down the tank.

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear this :( I personally have never been able to fully cure a fish from dropsy. Normally they get better at first, but it always comes back. I definitely think you're doing all the right things though. Something I would suggest you might try is doing 100% (or close to) water changes every day. I've heard that Sue (CountryLovah) has had success with one dropsy fish by doing this. Just an idea, if you can't manage it I totally won't blame you. I know I wouldn't be able to commit to 100% daily water changes with my schedule. But if you have the time, I think it's worth a try.

I know I wouldn't be able to commit to 100% daily water changes with my schedule.

Yeah. I could maybe do 100% every other day but not more than that since I work full time and am a full time student too.

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and ordering the same uv sterilizer as you. Would it be ok for a 180 or would it not be enough?

I'm really sorry you are having problems with dropsy again. :( You are doing all you can, but when you say you will feed the Ab food is that the Jungle antibacterial food? If it is then I strongly recommend you switch over to the jungle anti parasite food. The ant parasite contains Metro in it and that is what is recommended in cases of dropsy. I hope Butters and Wendy soon feel better. :heart

They will definitely be getting large water changes for the next couple of days since I wont be working all morning and night. My manager needs to hire more people. She doesn't realize that we are already short handed and will be even more next week. We are on day 3 of the week and I already have ot. But I wont be complaining when that paycheck comes. Im gonna use my bonus for that sterilizer.

On the bright side. Butters doesn't know she is sick and is having the time of her life pestering wendy since wendy is a bit slower.

Oh, and ill take more pictures later so you all can tell me her chances.

Edited by ashlee18

Well that's good. It makes a big difference if the fish feels alright.

Day 3 and already OT? Wow. In my job they don't want to give anyone overtime. Lately I don't even get 30 hours a week anymore... :(

At my hubby's job you get written up for ot because they don't want to pay you extra.

ugh i hate it when fish get sick, but it sound slike to me that you are MOORREEE than prepared for both the main tank and medi tank. i think they will do great hopefully and recover fast. the bubble, happened to my pom pom once, but it was more like a blister on the tail, and it just popped eventually and he heeled fine so lets hope its only as easy as that.

Well I just checked on them and butters looks even more pineconed than before. She has all the scales sticking out on her head and belly. It doesn't look good. But there is no way I am giving up on her since she is my little beloved fish. She ate which is promising.

Wendy is about the same.

Ok. Well the two have been in the hospital tank for two days now and are both about the same. Butters doesn't seem as active but I may have rudely wakened her.

The last two times, as soon as the epsom was taken out of the water she pineconed again. I've read about people keeping their dropsy fish in epsom water all the time. How much epsom is in the tank for this? I assume it is less than 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons of water.

On a sad note...tweek passed from flukes. Her gills were translucent/clear in the end. I haven't compared them to the healthy fish yet but is that normal?

was tweek a goldie? I didn't know flukes would cause transparent gills. Maybe gill disease?

As for the Epson, I personally wouldn't keep it in. It is a laxative, so I am not sure how many nutrients the fish would be able to absorb.

I've heard of people keeping a super low concentration of epsom in the water with dropsy fish too. You might try asking Sue (CountryLovah) because I think she might have been the person I heard it from...

I'm so sorry you lost Tweak. Was Tweak a pearlie, or which one was that? Clear gills would be scary to see. :(

Tweek was butter's sister. Gill disease could explain it. Butters and tweek had flukes and bottom sat 80% of the day, flashed and air gulped. Prazi cleared butters but tweek still had symptoms and never got better.

Well Wendy looks horrible, or at least she is acting horrible. Other than the red dots on her, which have been there for weeks now, and the bubble...she looks the same. She doesn't have any other spots where she is retaining fluid. I don't know what is up with her. Early this morning she was shoving Butters out of the way for food, now she is very listless. Its hard to watch her. I've been doing 90% water changes ever day since she has been put in the tank. Water treated with prime and tank temperature matched.

If she shows no improvement, should I put her out of her misery tomorrow? Video of them below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0kstnHflfQ

Wendy passed. I'm kinda glad that I didn't have to kill her myself. Something that I noticed that was not there last night, the area under and around her chin had red streaks. They looked like they came from her belly and branched up. It was weird.

Butters has lost a scale, but other than that is still spunky.