How Do 'healthy' Fish Sleep?

I have been observing the finned ones lately and was wondering if there is a specific way for 'healthy' fish to sleep?

I have my large Ryukins who all sleep 'hovering' in the middle of the tank - fins relaxed and dorsal up. I guess this is a good way?

Because I also have some of my 'petstore' babies who lie on the floor with the dorsal fins clamped - this always gets me a little nervous. Anything to worry about?

Then obviously I have the floaters who sometimes see the need to 'float' in their sleep.

Anyone know if there is a way the healthy fish sleep? How do your fish sleep?

Not quite sure if there is a proper way but after observing mine, most sleep right down on top of the gravel. Only a few times I've seen one or two hovering, but again in my tank they all go right down to the bottom and sleep. ;)

I've had some hover mid tank, some rest on the bottom. I even have a floaty one who has been laying on its side at the top of the tank with all fins hanging down. Scares the heck out of me every time I see it, but he'll start swimming around normally when he sees me.

• Supporter

the smaller ones hover kinda 1/4 way up from the gravel, the rest bottom sit with dorsals up in the front right corner facing the glass where they're most likely to spot me first and start begging instantly :)

My common sits right on the gravel facing the back of the tank, hidden behind an ornament. :doh11: My fantail and black moor sleep side by side on the gravel under one of the driftwood branches.

My two sit resting on the bottom with Dorsal fin half down. I had two before that would hover mid tank treading water. I am not sure but it may partially have to do with the way the current flows in the tank.

I have to say my tele's prefer to hover just above the bottom of the tank in the lower right hand side corner, and my Lionheads a bit higher in the tank but also on the right side,but the fantails seem to prefer mid tank and on the far left side...So I guess it really depends on the fish ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say my tele's prefer to hover just above the bottom of the tank in the lower right hand side corner, and my Lionheads a bit higher in the tank but also on the right side,but the fantails seem to prefer mid tank and on the far left side...So I guess it really depends on the fish ;)

Some of mine hover just above the bottom (including Black moor), some stake out the middle of tank, and I have one, the ryukin, right near the top (but not at the surface). It's fascinating to watch. They all hover, though. In my own experience, any fish that I observed to bottom sit usually go to fish heaven within a week :(

It depends with my fish.

A while ago Godzilla had the habit of sleeping vertical instead of horizontal. I'm glad she stopped doing it, because it scared me. Godzilla normally sleeps in her vase behind the plants.

The other fish mostly hover on the right side of the tank at level with the plants and in front of the internal filter. Quasi often sleeps in the plants.

When they want to take a nap and the tank lights are still on, they bottom sit in the darkest places in the tank.

Mine vary... my big redcap and ryukin like to huddle together in a corner or under a plant. I have just added my new ranchu a couple of days ago to the big tank and she has now joined them to sleep LOL - too cute! Some of the little ones hover randomly in the tank sometimes, but generally they like to hide and sleep under a plant :)