Trying To Nip Or Mate?

Hi I have my fish yam and now i bought a atank mate for him he rname is marmalade i just put her in the tank and while im typing this when I turn away he chases after her all over the tank and I guess is nipping at her or trying. Some one help? I dont know if the boys can mix or is it something that their trying to mate?

i cant tell the gender? how do you tell the gender?

Sexing goldfish is very difficult before they reach maturity. Sometimes people can tell by looking at the shape of the vent. Females may have rounder convex vents while males have thinner concave vents. The pectoral fins of males may be rather thick and stiff (compared to those of female goldfish) and with a more pronounced outer ray. Some people also believe that male goldfish have longer pectoral fins that do female goldfish. Also look for breeding stars (tubercules) on the gill covers and the front rays of the pectoral fins which would designate a male.

Does the one that chases the other have tiny white dots on their gills, here some pics to see what I mean:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/Blue_076/Felix005.jpg

http://72.41.192.212/Articles/images/DiagnosisBreedingStar.jpg

http://www.aquariumoddities.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/tubercles.jpg

Only male goldfish get those and it is the best way to figure out the gender. Also, do you have any basic idea of how old the fish are? And how big are they?

Hi I have my fish yam and now i bought a atank mate for him he rname is marmalade i just put her in the tank and while im typing this when I turn away he chases after her all over the tank and I guess is nipping at her or trying. Some one help? I dont know if the boys can mix or is it something that their trying to mate?

I doubt if it's mating behavior as you've just added your new fish to the tank. Your other fish is probably trying to show dominance over your new fish. He should settle down after a while once he becomes used to a tank mate.

No yam doesnt have that except just a white blob on his gill. but it is not a parasite. yam is about 2 inches and so is Marmalade. I have had yam for 1 month alone in a tank and just today added the new one, but not sure how old they are in years or birth.

No yam doesnt have that except just a white blob on his gill. but it is not a parasite. yam is about 2 inches and so is Marmalade. I have had yam for 1 month alone in a tank and just today added the new one, but not sure how old they are in years or birth.

They sound very young if they're only about 2" in length. He's probably just trying to intimidate but with both being that young they should become accustomed to each as they grow.

Oh boy should I set up a time out tank for Yam? Well either way yam also has a big fancy tail to.Also I have a nice big 20 gallon tank and just moved Yam in it this morning.

Might not be a bad idea...give him a time out so he can change his ways...

Well I`ll wait till tommorrow,and see if she got used to her new tankmate and stopped the bulling :alc . If not it will be the naughty tank :veryangry: and let her out of the naughty tank when I get home from school. Which school is 7 hours! you must discipline your animals when needed! :wa:SmackBottom:

Oh boy should I set up a time out tank for Yam? Well either way yam also has a big fancy tail to.Also I have a nice big 20 gallon tank and just moved Yam in it this morning.

Might not be a bad idea...give him a time out so he can change his ways...

Well I disiplined him like 4 times and the third time I got tired of putting him in one tank and switching back to the other. So I invented the net therapy! I have a Easter island house from spongebob in my tank so everytime Yam nipped or chased Marmalade around I took the net scooped him up, and put the net in front of the house so he could`nt escape and struggled and tried to so hard to get to Marmalade. Then she finally got the hang of not being a bully to Marmalade! YIPPPPPEEE! :angelstaf: They look like BFF`s now! :hi5:hug