Got A New Tank And Filter At Yard Sale For Tropical Tank

emptysky

This is really silly, but the coolest thing happened to me yesterday and I don't have a single fish friend anywhere else who will appreciate it. I have to share it with someone who understands or I'm going to explode!

Yesterday my subdivision had a neighborhood-wide yard sale and I was out looking for kid stuff when I saw an aquarium with an Eheim filter box inside it. I have an Eheim and I know how awesome--and expensive--they are. I stopped to look and it was a Perfecto 27 gallon hexagon with matching stand that looked barely used--my 55 gallon setup is only 6 months old and it looked cleaner than mine. The Eheim was a 2234 Ecco with the media and filters still in the plastic. The guy wanted $65 for all of it!!! I got my money out so fast I was dropping twenties in his driveway. He said he used it about a month for a Jack Dempsey who ate any other fish in his other tank, then his wife decided that she didn't want an aquarium in their home office, so he packed it all up and that was that.

My husband said, "tell me again why we need another aquarium?" I said at this price it doesn't matter if we need it or not! I have a 55 gallon of goldies, plus a 20 gallon that I was hoping to make a tropical tank, but then I needed it for one of the goldfish... but now I can use this one as a tropical tank. I don't particularly like hex tanks because I know fish like to swim back and forth, not up and down, but hopefully if I get a lot of tiny little ones they'll be happy enough. I even already have a heater for this size tank. It's too good to be true... I filled it up with water right away to see if it leaks because there must be something wrong to have gotten such a steal. Although even if the tank falls apart, the filter for $65 would have been worth it.

sf7xva.jpg

this is the second story i have read today about someone buying a cheap tank for a cheap price. i forget who, but for like 75 bucks they got a 70 or 75 gall with a matching stand.. now here you are. with a 27 gal hex tank with matching stand AND AN EHEIM CAN!

Thanks guys! Goldfish are my first love but I've always thought it would be cool to have a tank with a couple colorful fish like platys, then have nothing else but a big school of some tiny fish like danios or neon tetras. The goldfish tanks are always a lot of water and a few big, slow-moving showy fish... this would be the complete opposite, a herd of teeny little fish zipping around. I set everything up, pulled down the self-priming handle on the Eheim, plugged it in and it fired right up and is running silently. Every time I walk by it, I can't believe my luck. The only thing missing was the plastic tubing leading into and out of the filter, which I got for $2.96 at the hardware store.

Good for you! It's always exciting to find a deal like that. Looks a lot like one of my tanks. I never would have gotten it but my bf picked it out and it does take up less space than a long tank. So this type has it's place. I have one gf in it and it doesn't seem to bother him swimming up and down at all. But I agree it would be really cool to have a big school of fishies swirling around in a tall tank. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think that tanks of this type would be better suited more for tropicals in the first place due to the swimming space required for GF. Stocking it with tropicals that would inhabit top (Danios), center (Tetras), and bottom (Cory Cats) would give you a mixture of peaceful community fish that would fill your tank nicely. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think that tanks of this type would be better suited more for tropicals in the first place due to the swimming space required for GF. Stocking it with tropicals that would inhabit top (Danios), center (Tetras), and bottom (Cory Cats) would give you a mixture of peaceful community fish that would fill your tank nicely. :)

You must think just like me because I had the same ideas. I got long-finned leopard danios to begin with as my big school, but I'd really like some bloodfin tetras. I just thought the danios would be an easy place to start. On impulse at the store, I also got 2 platys that were so tiny, they had gotten sucked into the filtering system and were in the wrong tank. I couldn't tell what they were going to be, but they are getting very pretty as they get older. Red tails and bellies, with black and blue iridescent spots on a light background on the rest of the body. They are both males.

I wasn't sure how many fish I should have in this tank and I didn't want to put a ton in right away, so I got some ghost shrimp for the bottom. Well that was a big mistake because I found out why they call them ghost shrimp. The store would only sell them in groups of 10, so I got 10, put 7 of them in the hex tank and 3 in my 20 gallon. And that was the last time I saw all of them. All 3 are still going in the 20 gallon tank. I know that 2 have died in the hex tank because I found their bodies, but I've only been able to account for 4 of the rest. The only time I see them is when they're eating and even then I have to sit there and stare and search until I go cross-eyed. There's really no point in having a few in a tank like this because you will never see them!

In setting up the tank, I opened my goldfish's 2217 Eheim and the new Eheim, and swapped around some of the Efhi-whatchamacallit stuff, the one that is little rough balls. So the new tank's Eheim had 1/2 brand new substrate, and 1/2 substrate from the cycled tank. The other 1/2 of the new stuff went into the goldfish's filter, since you are supposed to periodically replace part of it and it needed changing anyway. Everyone got what they needed and the new tank didn't have a huge ammonia spike.

I'm uploading a video... I don't have the tank decorated like I want it yet, I've had trouble finding driftwood and plants that are tall enough for a 24" high tank, so all my fake plants stop 6 inches from the top. I'd like to have some real plants in there, but I need to read more about that. I did put in a couple corkscrew vals, but they'll probably die before I learn what I'm doing. I haven't found a 24" background either, but a new Big Al's store is opening only a few miles from my house soon so I'm hoping to get some good stuff there.

Well I don't know how to post something with HTML in this forum, so

. It's hard enough taking a pic of goldfish, it's impossible with danios zooming around, so it had to be video.

• 2 weeks later...

congratz! i know what you mean about even though you dont need it you had to have it i have all together 3 20 gallons,4 10 gallons, the 80 gallon and about 7 2-5 gallons tanks not to metnion bird cages,dog kennels,pet carriers critter keeps,hamster cages ect weve always had lots of little pets mice,hamsters,rats,frogs and it always seemed like we were always in need of some type of pet cage! so now whenever i find a nice bird cage or tank for cheap i snatch it right up! im like a pack rat for critter homes! becuase sure enough i know some day ill need it!

What a great deal! And I love the way you've set it up with the little fish flitting around. Thanks for sharing.