Chachamaru

Prejudiced

Well someone reminded me I haven't been here for awhile :krazy: Still missing my telescopes, but moving town soon so I may have to set up a new tank once I am settled. :newfish

Onto the main event though, here's a progress thread on how Chacha's going.

Heres when we first bought her home. On a freezing cold day and I had to walk, so her little baggie was being kept warm my being shoved down my top. :doh11::krazy:

(All really crummy camera phone pics sorry D: )

9e95605d7e.jpg

She was pretty much only just bigger then my fingernails! :krazy: I was concerned she would die or something. :aint:

She was so small that you could see through her if she got close to the light. :o Her little spine and everything was visible. Kinda shocked me, since when my goldfish fry reached that size they are pretty much miniature adults.

And here we are about 5 months later.

a1ae89eaed.jpg

Its really hard to photograph her colours. She's grey-black on the fins (in a really pretty fan pattern to) with a black 'eye' spot on her tail base and this pale pink/orange wash over her body. She's grown a lot but is still rather small. To be honest I thought she would grow much faster, oscars claim to fame is growing an inch a month after all. She's probably around 4-5 inches now (including tail) I worry, but she has pristine water and a good diet so I guess it's just how she is. :ignore

Heres the fan type pattern on her tail.

305436c7cc.jpg

Heres some shots of the tank

f4486a8d13.jpg

a7bef96dff.jpg

Sorry about the low quality/crummy phone pics. It really doesn't help that my lighting gives off a yellow tinge. The moss is a really beautiful green and it covers the whole back wall now, theres driftwood everywhere amongst it and bright creamy white sand. Chacha being pale shows up beautifully against the green. I'd love to get a pair of albino plecos to go with it. This set up won second place in a under 18 aquascaping comp with the local fish club. Given there were only 5 entries, but still. :D

da40515b11.jpg

Chacha and tank.

And heres what she should grow up to look like in the next year or so.

6.%203,16,2009.jpg

lutino-oscar-fish.jpg

(Hopefully really nice looking like that bottom one, but with the black fins :yeah: )

And that's about it I guess for growth. She's fed on a staple diet of pellets, supplemented with goodies like freeze dried krill, bloodworms and fruits and veggies when I can get her to eat them (almost never) :rofl Weekly 50-80% water changes of course as she's quite messy

Her tank is heated by a aqua one heater, and filtered by two internal filters with a x10 turnover between them. Eventually when she outgrows this tank (if ever with how slow she is growing :rofl ) I'm planning on getting her a really nice display tank with canister filters and the works. ;)

I originally wanted a veiltail or a lutino tiger oscar like Hidr's , but I'm more then happy with how Chacha is going to turn out. :yeah:

Yay for details! Gratz on your second place, that's fantastic! What did the 1st place tank look like?!

It was amazing. All plants and greenery and driftwood. Really beautiful! I should have taken a photo. :o

I'd love to try making something like that, but the only plants Chacha leaves alone is the java moss, so not happening. :rofl

• Supporter

wowzers amber! Chacha is a honey! good work and great to see you back.. looks like you've been a busy little bee! congratz on the second prize! pic of the display didn't come through though.. can you post it again? i'd love to see it!.

I'm not much of an oscar fan, but she is very interesting! Lots of growth and activity...

It says wonders for your fish-keeping abilities! :)

(Where did you get that name from? Because once upon a time I loved a band with a violinist named Chachamaru...)

I'm not much of an oscar fan, but she is very interesting! Lots of growth and activity...

It says wonders for your fish-keeping abilities! :)

(Where did you get that name from? Because once upon a time I loved a band with a violinist named Chachamaru...)

Aww thanks :D it's really getting my confidence back after losing the telescopes.

(To be honest I'm not a huge oscar fan either, but I love her to bits :yeah: )

She's named for this guy. Bad Japanese music is kinda my guilty pleasure. :doh11:

Edited by Amber

AWESOME! That's the Chachamaru that I know, too!

Also, it's not bad Japanese music! I still have Gackt's entire discography (up to the Love Letters album) on my iPod! :)

I still have Gackt's entire discography (up to the Love Letters album) on my iPod! :)

Got to say, I am a huge Gackt fan... It may be where Luna got her name. :wacko:

(But most of my pets get named after songs or musicians. It just seems to be Jpop this year :lol2 )

Thanks j-pond and Granola! And Helen too! (I didn't see you up there until now, D: Sorry!)