Padme Had An Accident

My poor Padme had a bad accident on Friday night while I was out with friends. When I got home I checked the tank to make sure everyone was accounted for, but I couldn't see Padme anywhere. Then I noticed her curled around one of the filter intakes, and she looked dead. I immediately got her off, and she seems a little disoriented. She floated to the top and tipped to one side a bit for a while. I was considering putting her in a 10 gallon tank to recover, but today she is able to get around just fine, so I think it will be less stressful to just leave her where she is. But her caudal fins and anal fins are just completely shredded, and she has some sort of sore on her side. At first I honestly thought she might not make it, but today she seems happy as can be despite how bad her fins look. I'm not going to add salt or anything unless it starts looking worse, but I think clean water along with the UV should be plenty to heal her up.

I've been keeping a close watch on her lately because she's had a tendency to be slightly floaty, and it seems like she has a hard time getting around. So on Friday before I left I baffled the filter outflows with some filter floss to cut down on the current for her. Then since I baffled those, I figured I could turn one of the filters back up to full power, and of course that's the one she was stuck to when I got home. In the future I may look into covering the intakes with pantyhose. I don't like the way sponge or filter floss looks over the intake tubes.

e010.jpg

e011.jpg

e015.jpg

Oh no! Poor baby! I'd watch her for a few days and if her tail doesn't look like it's getting any better I'd move her and then salt, or if the other fish get naughty and decide to have snack time on her poor tail!. She seems like a very powerful young lady though!

Why are out fish so accident prone? Sometimes I think they do it on purpose.

Yeah that's what I was planning on doing.

She's actually been a pretty weak fish, but oddly since this accident she seems better able to handle herself. But I think it's because the outflow is baffled now.

Poor sweetie. :( I'm glad she acting normally though, that's a good sign. It drives me crazy when I see my fish go near the filter intakes, and they seem to love them. I think our fish just want us to get gray hair early. :D

When Walley was having his major floaty issues I noticed he would use the intake to hold him in place. Of course, when his tail got stuck that didn't work so well. I wonder if Padme was doing something like that? I hope she gets better soon. I have my filters covered with sponge, too. I hate that it probably cuts down on the efficancy of the filter, but it keeps the filters free of fish.

She's doing well. Nobody's trying to make a snack out of her and she is acting like nothing ever happened. :) Her tail is still pretty shredded, but I'm sure it will heal in time.

Shell, I can't use those plastic things to cover the intake, because Momo got stuck badly in one of them somehow before. After that I took them out and have never used them since.

Edited by Sakura

• 2 weeks later...

Poor fish! Is your filter particularly powerful, or perhaps mine is just very weak? Because I've seen my fish swim past the intake and even peck at it in search for food with no effect...

Normally fish don't get stuck onto the intake unless they were already ailing or weak from something. I had been worried about her for a while before this because she seemed floaty and a little bloated. I do have pretty powerful filters because this is a big tank (Aquaclear 110's) but they are turned to the lowest setting and none of my other fish have ever gotten stuck to them.

Awww so sad!!! I am glad to hear that she seems to be handling it well though! (Although I just noticed you have another thread with the red vent so I will have to take a look at that)... I hope she can recover. I've had the same exact thing happen to a really floaty fish. I found her sucked right up against the filter and her tail was shredded just like Padme's tail... My fish had been bloated a bit before and after I found her I noticed her pineconing on one side and all her scales on that side were off so I ended up putting her in a hopsital tank and giving her MetroMeds.. I really didn't think she was gonna make it but she hung in there. It's really amazing what they can pull through! Good luck getting Padme back to health!

Thanks Sue! At first I thought she'd be just fine, but when the dropsy started I pretty much thought she was a goner. I'm still not sure if the dropsy is going to come back or not, but seeing some improvements has been really nice!