Triops?

Deku

Does anyone have any info on them? And could possibly answer my questions?

I got a great idea: post your questions! :idea

What water is specific needed to hatch the babies? Like can it be dechlorinated tap water? Do I have to cycle the aquarium to keep them healthy? I know they live 2 months. But can I breed em? would it be bad after they die to feed em to my turtle? xD Like my momma always said! Waste nothing! xDD Also what are some foods I can feed em? I know they grow 2.3 inches. How many eggs should i put in? Cause I know some will hatch. But I dont wanna use the whole thing. I looked at the triops site. I understood alot of it. But some of it confused me. Also is colored sand bad to use? I was thinking of using black sand... They sell em at a petstore near me. How long will it take it to grow to atleast 2inches? 1inch? It said after some generations that I have to restart my tank, like take it appart and then do it again. Why??? Thats a bother! Especially if I have good filtration running! D:! It said I can keep plants with it but that some will be eaten. Can I safely keep moss balls?(I love moss balls.. lol) Anachris? What other plants would be considered good for this tank? What kind of plants are native to america that are sold? Can I feed it freeze dried brine shrimps? How about freeze dried krill? Turtle pellets? What are some foods that are high in protein? I read high protein makes them grow bigger. Could I use pond water for my tank? I wont aquire it myself-persay I am not going out to the pond. But I can preorder pond water from a biological site. Can I use fake plants along with real plants? Can I use rocks as well? Can I use a UV light?(I love that type of light).

I like how every box says "CHOKING HAZARD"

Solar please don't eat them :(

Lol Iam not retarded. Its okay.

• 1 year later...

Tank:

Anything really, but I've read that a long tank is better than a deep tank (same as with fish) Substrate should be something they can root around in, they're tiny horseshoe crabs, basically. Bottom feeders. Size-wise, 1 gallon per adult seems to be a common trend for the serious triops owner.

Water:

When hatching, distilled water, afterwards, same treated water as your fish use or keep using distilled. pH should be around 7.0-9.0, temp 72-86F, but one site says if your house is usually around 72F, then you shouldn't need a heater.

Filter:

Mostly finding that undergravel is recommended, but internal filters can be used with larger triops (over 1cm) but set very low (they live in still ponds, after all) I would imagine a sponge filter would be excellent, it'd gather algae they can eat and it shouldn't suck them in.

Bubbler:

More oxygen= faster growing, stronger Triops

Food:

Plants (anacharis is cheap!) blood worms, daphnia, brine shrimp, fish food, cat food, dog food, fresh veggies, fruit flies, anything within reason, really. They don't seem to be picky eaters. Just DON'T OVERFEED. Do several small feedings if you have to, too much food will mess up the water and they're sensitive to bacteria spikes, more so than fish.

Lighting:

Anything really, a sunny room (but not direct sunlight, don't want to cook them), desk lamp, tank light, whatever.

Uhm...as far the other questions you had...

But can I breed em? They pretty much breed themselves, hermaphrodites, one triop is capable of laying fertile eggs by itself.

would it be bad after they die to feed em to my turtle? As long as you know they died of old age and not disease, I don't see why not...

How many eggs should i put in? As many as you want, maybe reserve a few if the first batch doesn't hatch. either way, four bucks gets you a new batch.

Also is colored sand bad to use? They're sensitive to chemicals, someone lost all their triops after adding a lava rock. I'd stick with natural sand. I have a tank with black sand I was thinking of trying them in, but now I'm not so sure.

How long will it take it to grow to atleast 2inches? 1inch? Depends on the conditions they're raised in.

It said after some generations that I have to restart my tank, like take it appart and then do it again. Why??? The only place I saw that mentioned that was to get eggs to dry out and hatch. Other then that I guess just because it gets stale from age or something? No clue. I'd treat my tank like a fish tank if I had them and just keep it going.

What kind of plants are native to america that are sold? I think Anacharis and other pond plants are, frill, hornwort, water wisteria, possibly java fern, but it's called "Java" so maybe not, lol.

Could I use pond water for my tank? For hatching they give you "pond dirt" basically, but after hatching you don't need fancy imported water, lol.

Can I use fake plants along with real plants? Can I use rocks as well? Anything, just be sure it doesn't leech chemicals into the water (like the red lava rock, avoid it)

Can I use a UV light? UV lights destroy vitamins A and D, so I would avoid them. You want strong triops :)

http://mytriops.com/articles/triops_care.stm

http://unclean.org/triops.shtml

http://www.keepingexoticpets.co.uk/how-keep-triops.html

Oh, they also live 20-50 days. I was thinking of getting some myself but after finding out about their short life-span, I don't know if I could deal with all the death....

i used to have these guys. i've tried to hatch them many times, never got any, then one time like 30 of them hatched, they were so cool! the package said to use distilled water, i think i used R.O. water, that was the only time they hatched so i guess that works best. cute little guys :)

I've hatched these guys with dechlorinated tapwater, I think I ended up with about 6-8 from the pack. I wouldn't have substrate as they're really small for quite a long time. I hatched mine in a glass and then moved them into a tank. The problem I had is that these guys are MESSY, they shed their skin as they grow and they do that a lot, as well as the pooping, but I couldn't siphon the muck up as they were so small I would have siphoned the critters too, and sometimes it can be hard to tell a skin from a triop, particularly when they're small as they don't get their colour until they're bigger. I didn't have a filter to start with either for the same reason and there was definitely no cycle - I didn't know about cycling then. They were cool to watch and they're pretty tough :) I just fed mine the food that came in the kit, though they had a bigger tank than the kit ones - about 9 gallons