Odd Orange Hue On Belly And White Spots On Tail

Julie

[*]Ammonia Level? 0.25

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? .5

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API

[*]Water temperature? Possibly mid 70s (room temp)

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10gal, 2 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Penguin Biowheel 100

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 2x daily, but I have been slacking...

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1, 2.5-3 inches w/out tail

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Progold, 2x day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? None

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Tank has been salted to .03%

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Pale Orange underbelly and white spots on tail

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? None

This past week, I've noticed strange things going on with Phoebe, my oranda. First there was a white spot near the end of her tail that was coupled with short red lines. At this point I can't tell if this is just part of her coloring or if the lines are caused by the white spot. Now today, there is another white spot.

I'm sorry the pic doesn't show very much :( It's really hard to get a good look even in person.

IMG_3948.jpg

In addition to the2nd white spot today, I've found that some of Phoebe's underbelly has turned a very pale orange.

IMG_3950.jpg

IMG_3945.jpg

Other than these external findings, Phoebe's been acting completely normal. I'm a bit at a loss of what this is or what to do. So far, I've salted to .03% and just finished a 50% w/c. (Gonna do another one later today.) The params were done before the water change.

I think the spots on her tail are due to cycling stress. Keep up with the water changes to get the ammonia down to ZERO.

I don't think you need to have the salt that high. You can take it down to 0.2%.

The red lines are from the ammonia, I refer to them as "ammonia blowout" because they flare up quick when ammonia is present in the tank, but take a while to work themselves out of the tail.

The orange on her belly is completely normal. Just a color change. You'll see a LOT of that with goldies. :)

COLOR CHANGE! I didn't think of that! doh11.gif Goodness I got so concerned, thinking it was all sorts of fatal diseases. I feel so silly right now! wacko.gif I'm gonna miss her white, though...wink.gif

I'll stay on top of water changes and lower the salinity a bit for her. Thanks for the help Ryukin Girl!

No problem! :) And don't feel too silly, we have all fallen into the over-reactive fish mommy syndrome trap before! ;)

If you notice that the spots on her tail are really persistent, try taking the salt completely out, she may be sensitive to it.