Tiny Thin White Snake-Like Worms

Julie

Long story short, I goofed. While trying to keep a used filter alive, (which had been used in a cichlid's tank before) I had accidentally spread these worms into Nano's tank and they've taken residence in my 75 gallon as well, which is currently going through a fishless cycle.

http://s151.photobuc...rrent=Movie.mp4

I couldn't find anything that would exactly match what these guys are, and the description of planaria came the closest. So until now, I figured they were planaria. They didn't seem to bother the cichlid whose tank they originated from, and as of now, they seem to be cleared from Nano's tank. I don't see any more of them swimming around.

However, tonight, I was researching planaria some more, and I'm doubting these worms are really planaria. I see no arrowhead, and they look much more slender.

What exactly are these? And do they indeed harm fish?

oh yuck I have those in my turtle tank! I have been running it empty for a week so that they will hopefully starve. Hate those things!

• Supporter

i had this problem too.. but my ones were tiiiiiiiny.. and they didn't move so quickly, they were also not so in control of their swimming like you show in your video..

to get rid of them i siphoned like mad and didn't feed for 3 days.. the fish ate them all. i've never seen any again and i hope i never do..

i will say though, when i noticed them, i noticed that there were probably many hundreds in the tank.. and that's no exaggeration.

Nooooooo! D'8 Well, at least they're harmless.. but, ugh, they ARE annoying! Just gross little moochers! I have an idea that they might be feeding off an old rotting plant root that somehow got carried over to the tank with the filter.

Looks like my war has begun... *cocks siphon hose*

• Supporter
And do they indeed harm fish?

Here's an article on Planaria that sheds some light on Planaria enetering aquatic livestock through the gills...it's a good read. Hope it helps! ;)

Mr D!.. the article did not post hun.. :(

Nice, that most certainly does help, Blackteles! Thanks for the link! :D

I wonder why so many other sites skip that info? Everything I've found (though, my sources are merely aquarist forums and a info sites) states that planaria are non-parasitic and harmless. The article states that they are related to flukes... I wonder if prazi could kill them? (A bit of a stretch, but I have to try, hehe) Is gill irritation only a problem when it is a huge amount of planaria, or simply any quantity can irritate fish?

As much as I hate these guys, this is pretty interesting :)

I had those once.......Eeeeeewwwwww! Clean like crazy then like the others said don't feed for a few days. It surprised me that the fish didn't eat them right up. But other no other food they'll change their minds! Eeewwwwwww!

I've not seen them again....thankfully!

As I look over at the tank..........................