How Big Would You Guess This Really Is?

I found a really great deal on a tank that I might be getting. I will be going to look at it tomorrow. In the meantime, I asked for dimensions on it just to make sure he wasn't confused about the size, and to figure out if the stand will fit in any car I can use. I was wanting dimensions on the tank and separate dimensions on the stand, but he gave me overall measurements instead. He says its a 55 and came as a set with the stand. But he says that the stand and tank together are 48" wide by 24" deep by just over 48" tall. Would a stand possibly be that much deeper than the tank? Because by my calculations, if it really is 24" deep, even if it is ony 18" tall, that is still almost 90 gallons!!! :yikes

Hmmm...that is odd. The only tanks that are usually 24 inches deep are 120s and 180s. Wouldn't it be cool if it was a 120? That would be 48 X 24 X 24.

Or maybe it is an odd shaped tank. Is the stand built for the tank? Maybe he is quoting the width of the stand and not the tank. That would be if the stand was much wider than the tank.

Edited by ashlee18

He says its a set from Pet$mart. :idont

It would be totally cool if it was a 120. But I'm just not sure I could get away with that in my apartment.

I'm taking my tape measure when I go tomorrow!

Edited by flutterbudget

I found a really great deal on a tank that I might be getting. I will be going to look at it tomorrow. In the meantime, I asked for dimensions on it just to make sure he wasn't confused about the size, and to figure out if the stand will fit in any car I can use. I was wanting dimensions on the tank and separate dimensions on the stand, but he gave me overall measurements instead. He says its a 55 and came as a set with the stand. But he says that the stand and tank together are 48" wide by 24" deep by just over 48" tall. Would a stand possibly be that much deeper than the tank? Because by my calculations, if it really is 24" deep, even if it is ony 18" tall, that is still almost 90 gallons!!! :yikes

My friend has a tank 48"x18x24 and it's a 75gallon, maybe it is a 90....that would be cool! Just think of how many goldies you could keep :D

I wonder if he measured it right. The standard long 55 gallon is 48x12x24. Or maybe he just wrote it down wrong.

But if it is really 48x24x24 - which would make it 110 gallons - then this would be even better for you.

Or maybe his stand really is much bigger which wouldn't make sense if it came as set.

We live on the ground floor and the tank would be on an outside wall. I doubt there would be a structural problem, and we don't pay for water, but we are worried that the landlord would FREAK OUT. But I still don't think it's a waste of time because he's only asking $45 for the whole thing. He says there's nothing wrong with it, and he just needs to sell it because they are moving. So even if it turns out to be something I can't use right now, it's such a good deal I might get it anyway and keep it til we move. We are getting ready to go look. I'll let you know what i find!

Edited by flutterbudget

Well the guy is one crazy old dude. It's a 75 and if it came from Pet$mart I'm the freaking queen of england. It's old. Like maybe from the 70's. It has real wood trim, not that oak grain veneer stuff. And it's FILTHY. But otherwise in really good shape with no leaks or cracks or noticable scratches. And it came with a solid wood cabinet stand. And right now it's taking up my whole bathroom soaking so I can start cleaning it up because it's bigger than my bathtub. :whatjust:

I'll try to take some pics later. Prolly after it's slightly less disgusting. But for $45... I can do some scrubbing.

Also on the way home we passed a Pet$mart that I've never been to and of course I had to go look. They had about 4x the goldfish my local store has. And I sort of unexpectedly came home with a celebratory :newfish He's in QT and I will try to get pics of him later too.

Edited by flutterbudget

Yeah, I will definitely use vinegar. but first I have to scrape of the dried on... crud. And then bleach the living daylights out of it. The guy said he used to keep cichlids, and then after he got out of fish his son put goldfish in, but with no filtration. :scared And I think don't think they so much drained it as let it evaporate after that. It's really bad. :Dont-Believe: But I'm confident I can fix it up.

New fishy is a "calico" ryukin. He's mostly white with black speckles, but his belly has some pale orange and about half his scales are metalic. It's really pretty. I don't know if I'll be able to get a decent pic in QT because the lighting is terrible in there. He's really friendly and inquisitive and not scared at all. He was biting at hubby's fingers throught the bag on the ride home!

Hubby has been working his tail off in there while I was busy in the kitchen and the tank is looking good! Gonna bleach it overnight and then work on the hard water stains tomorrow. I want to set it up RIGHT NOW, but I might have to wait a while before I can get filters for it. (unless Amy's gonna be my hero and sell me her canister ;) )Also, I really think it's going to have to have new lights. OMG you should see the light fixture that came with it. It's like ancient. If it actually works I guess it might do for now, but it kinda scares me. :rofl

A hero! I love being a hero. I haven't heard from Koko yet, but I'm sure she will let me know in a few days. I can check on postage costs, too. It would be perfect for your new tank.

Calicos are my favorite fish...can't wait to see a picture.

Amy, that's fine! It's not like I have fish in buckets waiting for this tank, so It's cool if I have to wait. But I'll definitely be interested if Koko isn't. It's just weird how this whole thing came together. It just happens that I found a good deal on a Rena 400 air pump last week, and then you posted about your filter for sale, and then I came across the add for the tank quite by accident (I was actually looking for a 20 for my husband). It's like al the parts just *poof* appeared. :angelstaf:

• Admin

Dude what a deal hun.....

As for the canister guys, if you need it hun go for it. i just wanted it to replace a noisy HOB filter in my tank, but you need it for this new tank hun :)

This is why Koko is the best...not only did she manage to send the tank fairy your way, but she is giving you first dibs on the filter. PM me your addy if you are interested and I can get it out in the mail to you. I can get the posted figured out before I send if if you are worried about postage. I still have the box and all the directions as well.