Question.

Deku

My dad is letting me have his 55g for me to put the goldfish in, but the catch is they wont be in my room. I can still have a 10g in my room, but I dont want my goldies to be sad. So Iam letting them be in that 55g for their sakes. So I was wondering.

Do you guys know any aquatic animal I can keep in a 10g?

Iam open to any suggestions. I like bugs, as weird as it sounds. But I guess I like anything with a shell, or hard armor. I like water bugs but I hear that they could fly away? I used to like betas, but they dont do it for me I guess. As for newts, I dont know much about em and probably wouldnt be interested in one. Since I had one and all it did was hide. I like puffer fish, but their too big for the 10g. He said I cant get anything more than a 10g, so I dont wanna put the goldfish in there, to have it suffer. :( Any suggestions? I remember looking at triops but lost interest when I saw their lifespan. they live like a month. I mean a year is even better than a month. Also I cant keep a turtle in there since turtles need a min of 55g for the smallest turtle. ;(

as well as Iam not fond of crayfish or small shrimp. I basically like round, armored things. It can be either roun dor armored. but I prefer round.

Why don't you get a little thing of pillbugs. I like those, they're pretty funny. Or a tarantula? A firekneed tarantula or a cobalt maybe. But colbats are pretty mean and nasty.

Edited by Haruka

Why don't you get a little thing of pillbugs. I like those, they're pretty funny. Or a tarantula? A firekneed tarantula or a cobalt maybe. But colbats are pretty mean and nasty.

I would get a tarantula-parents are terrified of em so I cant. I can only have an aquarium or palidirium.

Parents have ridiculous rules I know. But I try working around them.

Edited by SolarFish

How about a shrimp tank?or maybe some guppies :) or a little of both:)

Only shrimp I ever liked was the dinasaur shrimp, this huge shrimp called the river shrimp, and this one with really long legs and claws. As for guppies. Guppies would be much happier in a 20g, because they are extremely active. Ived witnessed it for myself before. As I also know their care. Also females throw off this type of pheromone in the water that in a small tank it will pretty much kill all the inhabitants. Especially since there has to be 1 male per 2females. I know I have very specific likes. Its why I was attracted to goldfish. Goldfish are basically one of the five perfect matches of a pet for me. The other four are: turtle, toad, rabbit, dog. :o I am not particularly fond of fire bellies though. I just like the brown warty toads, like the one I have which is down in the basement(the basement is cleaned out now). A turtle is far too active for a 10gallon and too big as well. Even a little mud turtle will out grow a ten gallon. I like milipedes, but I cant have one cause I can only have an aquatic or semi aquatic set up. I also like burrowing roaches(they remind me of beetles. Dont judge me. Dx) but they're terrestrial and expensive(believe it or not. lol). I like beetles, but they live a far too short life(2months-7months). I was thinking of keeping a tadpole, but they dont do anything, they cant have a filter, and they just do nothing. LolI like em, to look at. But after 2minutes I loose all attention I had on them. xD I was thinking of a pea puffer. But, they're too small for me(half an inch to an inch.).

Snails? I don't know how much room they need though.

Maybe. But:

a)I dont know any that grow atleast 2-3inches(I like big snails, like african snail.) b)I dont know how long they can live. I mean I know apple snails obv. live up to a year. But other snails I dont know how long they last. I atleast want 2-3 years of life span.

Who said apple snails only live up to a year? Have you seen Stakos' snail. All lifespans are dependent on the quality of care the animal gets. :)

Hmm I prefer pond snails. Kinda bigger to me. If only there were snails like that for sale. :o Id use sand in the tank obviously. As for water quality.I have a fluval filter. That should be overkill for them. Lol. I do like some shrimp. But I dont like small shrimps. I rather animal be atleast 3inches.

Who said apple snails only live up to a year? Have you seen Stakos' snail. All lifespans are dependent on the quality of care the animal gets. :)

I was thinking the same and started looking up online. I found a lot of people saying they live only 1 - 2 years, others say they had theirs for 5 years. I think it depends on temperature and care a lot. The cooler the water, the longer they live. That's why mine went back into the goldi tank even though Speedy seemed to enjoy himself in the tropical tank, and why the "snail toilet" corner has its own filter.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I was thinking the same and started looking up online. I found a lot of people saying they live only 1 - 2 years, others say they had theirs for 5 years. I think it depends on temperature and care a lot. The cooler the water, the longer they live. That's why mine went back into the goldi tank even though Speedy seemed to enjoy himself in the tropical tank, and why the "snail toilet" corner has its own filter.

In really c old water they are almost inactive. Thats why we put em in warm waters. Cause it keeps their gears going. I just want something like those triops or sea monkeys. In the sense that they are active, funny, and like to swim in the weirdest of ways.

In really c old water they are almost inactive. Thats why we put em in warm waters. Cause it keeps their gears going. I just want something like those triops or sea monkeys. In the sense that they are active, funny, and like to swim in the weirdest of ways.

Interesting, as mine are quite active in room temperature water which is 68 degree right now. Or are you gonna keep your water much below room temperature?

Well then why don't you just get some sea monkeys? :)

Maybe. But:

a)I dont know any that grow atleast 2-3inches(I like big snails, like african snail.) b)I dont know how long they can live. I mean I know apple snails obv. live up to a year. But other snails I dont know how long they last. I atleast want 2-3 years of life span.

If you can get Pomacea canaliculata within your state (which is legal), then go for it. They grow to 3 inches max and can live up to 10 years. Do NOT attempt obtaining your canas outside the state lines or the USDA will track you down and confiscate and incinerate the poor snails.

Maybe. But:

If you can get Pomacea canaliculata within your state (which is legal), then go for it. They grow to 3 inches max and can live up to 10 years. Do NOT attempt obtaining your canas outside the state lines or the USDA will track you down and confiscate and incinerate the poor snails.

Show me a picture? I just wish I had more options to choose from. augh. why do I have to be so fickle pickle?

Maybe. But:

Show me a picture? I just wish I had more options to choose from. augh. why do I have to be so fickle pickle?

http://www.google.co...iw=1024&bih=601

Google image search is so awesome!

Maybe. But:

http://www.google.co...iw=1024&bih=601

Google image search is so awesome!

Sorry Iam not good at memorizing scientific name and then typing it out. xD Especially since Iam on my wii internet. But that sounds good. what I read up on it. Fast, active, long lived. :o But I dont know how I could possibly get one. Since they seem to not be common. I do have regular apple snails available to me. How many snails can I keep in a 10gallon? Could I possibly keep 5 or 6? O: I used to have a 3 gallon pest snail tank. Cause it was to be fed to some fish I had a long time ago. And I had like 200snails in there(seriously) they were kinda friendly. Like they wouldnt hide out or anything. Or maybe just oblivious? xD Btw does anyone know what is the largest fresh water snail?

The ones that Lupin posted if I'm not mistaken. I would not put 5 or 6 in a tank, 2 at the most since you want 5 gallons each to an apple snail and even more for those :o They get absolutely huge!

If you want a cana, just one for a 10g. For Pomacea diffusa, you can keep four. Allow 2.5g per snail for diffusas only.

Try to post a classified ad in Aquariacentral.com and Applesnail.net forums. Both forums are actively participated by snailers.;)

The largest freshwater snail is Pomacea maculata at 6 inches but its existence remains in question. Pomacea insularum (also of canaliculata complex) is next at 4 inches. They're more aggressive than the canas though. Canas are next possibly matching the paludosas (native in Florida; not a suitable aquarium snail since they're far too sensitive).

Oh, I forgot the Pomacea haustrum whose eggs are green and mantle slightly wider and deeper sutures (which makes them easier to identify as they're often confused with canas). It is 3-4 inches in max size.

More info here for snail nerds but Stijn still has to update it since Ken Hayes already changed the name Pomacea bridgesii to Pomacea diffusa.

http://applesnail.ne...cies_genera.htm

Edited by Lupin

Oh, I forgot the Pomacea haustrum whose eggs are green and mantle slightly wider and deeper sutures (which makes them easier to identify as they're often confused with canas). It is 3-4 inches in max size.

More info here for snail nerds but Stijn still has to update it since Ken Hayes already changed the name Pomacea bridgesii to Pomacea diffusa.

http://applesnail.ne...cies_genera.htm

Lol. I will look into this. One time I used to keep slugs. >w> I would love to see an aquatic slug. That is not a nudibranch. Lol and that is freshwater. xD Thatd be sweet. Or if not freshwater complete atleast would be okay living in a palidrium. I also like crabs. But most die out very young. Lol I remeber last summer I was catching dragon fly nymphs in the swamps and creeks. I had found a small diving beetle. They were adorable. I let em go since I had no interest in them as much at the time. :P Oh well.

Ps. I know this is going to sound stupid. But snails reminds me of cows. How they posture, and graze around.