Are Certain Breeds More Prone To Certain Problems?

number20121

I'm especially asking about ryukins and being floaty, because the only times I ever saw floaty goldfish in person it was ryukins at the LFS, and Vanille is my only fish ever to get floaty. She got quite floaty the other night when Steven fed her the angelfish's floating pellets ( ............... ) while I was at work, and overall sometimes she seems to have really light floaty issues.

It is hard to notice, but sometimes when she swims and turns around she kind of tumbles over with her belly going a little bit up for a second. Kind of like she is having slight problems keeping her balance.

Or when she picks through the gravel she occasionally almost does a little somersault thing.

Not always, just sometimes.

So I was wondering if that is a general problem with ryukins or if it is just coincidence. And what other breeds are more prone to certain issues?

Yeah ryukins can be more prone to floatiness because of their extremely round shape. Any fish that is overly round will be more prone to float.

I think wenned fish are more prone to getting nasty ulcers because they have so much wen tissue that the certain type of bacteria likes.

And tiku pearlies are just more prone to everything :(

That's all I can think of.

Yeah Ryukins you have to be careful with since they are so round like Sakura said. And pearlies I just steer clear from, I don;t think they're worth all the trouble they get into :( Very prone ot dropsy as well.

Yeah ryukins can be more prone to floatiness because of their extremely round shape. Any fish that is overly round will be more prone to float.

I think wenned fish are more prone to getting nasty ulcers because they have so much wen tissue that the certain type of bacteria likes.

And tiku pearlies are just more prone to everything :(

That's all I can think of.

She's right. ^^^

Almost all round bodied fancies are prone to floaty issues, not just the ryukins and pearlies. Their organs are so squashed up due to the body shape they have.

Telescopes/demekins, celestials and bubble eyes are prone to blindness. Bubble eyes are prone to eye sac infections.

Yeah Ryukins you have to be careful with since they are so round like Sakura said. And pearlies I just steer clear from, I don;t think they're worth all the trouble they get into :( Very prone ot dropsy as well.

I don't think pearlscales are necessarily more prone to dropsy, I do think that it is harder to deal with though. They just don't have any expansion space like the flatter fish do and so the fluid has the potential to do more internal damage putting pressure on the organs, making it harder to cure than in something like a fantail (this is just my experience, not based on scientific wotsit!) as you run a higher risk of it leading to organ failure rather than just being a side-effect of something else, and organ-failure dropsy is not curable.

A general rule is the less shaped like a common goldfish the fish is, i.e. the more genetically inbred and mutated, the more problems you will have. The fancy goldfish shapes and growths etc haven't occurred in nature because they aren't supposed to survive. The fry would have died off or been eaten as they couldn't cope with the real world. The fish many of us keep are artificially created for an artificial environment, and as such are much less robust than their wild and semi-wild relatives. If we can't keep that environment right, or in many cases sterile (which is not usually desirable for any creature) then we get problems as their immune systems are not evolved to deal with change. The shapes in fancy goldfish have evolved over a relatively short time compared to evolution in the wild, and the problems are kept for aesthetic reasons rather than bred out and allowed to die off.

I wouldn't say pearlies aren't worth the trouble of keeping them, and I've had a few, but you do have to be extra extra careful with their environment and their diet, or you will lose them.

Edited by devilduck

Pearlscales have just been a nightmare for me. I've lost SO many of them that it's ridiculous. Virtually every single one I've ever had has dropsied. But it's important to remember that dropsy isn't a disease in and of itself; it's a symptom of other problems, which pearlies seem to have in spades.

As humans, we've done goldfish a disservice health-wise by breeding them to conform to such extreme body shapes and features -- nature would never create a fish with a perfectly round body, or one with a gigantic wen on its head, or one with its tail tucked low to the point that the fish can't swim normally. Unfortunately, these are the features most of us find so adorable in our goldfish (I'm totally guilty of this myself). That cuteness just isn't compatible with good health sometimes.

It seems like everyone on here has had problems with one type of goldfish or another -- there are members who can't seem to keep a telescope alive, but whose other fish thrive, and other folks whose ranchus never seem to make it, etc. For me, my bad-luck breed is pearlscales. They drop like flies in my tank.

Floating is why I never buy them and I look for longer bodies when I buy my goldfish.

I tend to agree with Hidr on this one too...Snow was a ryukin shaped telescope that had serious floating issues...whereas my telescopes with longer bodies don't have the floatiness problem. It's as if I want to stay away from this type anymore.