Salt Required?

number20121

Another question I got. I find contradicting info on the internet, but do the fish we got need salt?

The community tank has an angelfish, platys, dwarf gouramis and a rubberlip pleco. I know they didn't have salt at the previous owner.

Platys can live with some salt but they don't really need it. Usually people keep them with mollies and mollies do need some salt, I think that's why a lot of people think they need it too. :rolleyes:

You can use kosher or pickling salt as an alternative I believe (just as a general note on the price of aquarium salt), that you can pick up in most of the big stores in the US, it's much cheaper. The important thing is that it's pure. Hopefully some people in the US can confirm that, I think someone uses just rock salt. Personally I just buy my aquarium salt in a big box. Since buying the big box of about 3kg I haven't had to use it...like having it prevents me having any problems that need it :idont

Edited by devilduck