How Much Food Do They Need?

number20121

I think my hubby is overfeeding his tropicals as there is always so much waste in it compared to my GOLDFISH tank and now he got brown aglae. I just read online that overfeeding can cause it.

Seriously, I just cleaned his tank again and the amount of stuff (not just poop but tiny light colored grains, I guess uneaten food etc) that is being sucked up by the gravel vac is insane.

So he got 1 adult angelfish, 2 adult dwarf gouramis, 2 adult platys and 1 rubberlip pleco. Not sure how old that one is but I think he is about 2 or 2.5 inches long, so probably not adult.

How much food to these fish require? Hubby got Nutrafin small tropical pellets and Omega One floating tropical pellets (which he feeds to the angelfish). The Omega One floating pellets have about the size of the little round plastic ball on the end of a pin; the sinking nutrafin pellets have the size of that cheap grated parmesan cheese. Sorta. We also got algae wafers and shrimp pellets for my common pleco, we tried feeding those to the rubberlip but never see him eat them. He is out eating algae a lot though.

When this tank was still used for three of my larger goldis plus the common pleco (aka when I didn't know better) it had LESS waste than it now has with 5 small tropicals and 1 angelfish.

You're right about the fact that you shouldn't be finding food when you clean. The thing is, the fish you have are not the type to pick the food out of the gravel. They eat from the surface mainly so you need to feed a tiny bit at a time and when they eat that you can always give them another tiny bit. You can't dump the whole amount in at one time like we do with the goldies. :) But the same rule applies to tropicals their stomach is the size of one of their eyes so a teeny bit per fish is all that's needed.

for the pleco. feed them cucumbers or zucchini, a slice or two and they or he shall merk it i am 100 percent sure of it. if they have never eaten it, then he wont touch it but once he gets on it. hes not coming off of it until he leaves it looking like a giant green ring. as for the other fish, i say start feeding them less, maybe they eating too much and so not only do you have poop but you also have food on the ground. try that should work. brown algae can also show up with too much light and what not, nature doing its usual so it wont exactly be all because of over feeding. try blood worms as well maybe, i know angels LOVE em. get frozen or dried but i have seen em do better with frozen. maybe if they are pooping soo much you should try getting another filter if you want?

first though try the different diet, try the diff. feedng amount and then i guess get back to see how things are.

Brown algae usually shows up from not enough light and a newly cycling tank. How long are you lights on during the day? I switched to a 12 hour schedule in my goldie tank and voila, all green.