Changed A Few Things In The Tank

number20121

First of all: these are the most color accurate photos I have ever taken of the tank and the fish! Hooray for lots of daylight.

Second: My camera is about to be tossed. 95% of the time it is not working at all so when it was working just before I took a couple photos even though the tank is not completely fixed the way I want it.

Anyway.

I noticed that none of the fish gave a floating poop about the flower pot, so I removed it. Put the big bubble wand in the middle at the back and have an air stone in both back corners.

Unfortunately the one on the right side broke when I tried to adjust it. Instead of the air tube coming off it, the air tube tore the little connector piece out of the air stone and the stone broke in 3 big pieces. Hubby is going to get me some on his way home from work.

And the stone to the left was moved by Hugo who has the bad habit of swimming through the bubbles but always wanting to swim BEHIND the air tube, no matter how close it is to the glass. So she took off the one suction cup that held the tube in place and made the air tube be all messed up.

She thinks it's funny. I don't.

Also I have the small 20 gallon filter running and extended the intake pipe with a black pond tubing. The thing is that the two snails use this corner behind the driftwood as bathroom, and my fish sleep over there too so this corner collects the most waste in the tank - aside from in the pleco cave to the left which is getting vac daily. Now this way the filter sucks up most of the bathroom/sleeping corner waste instantly.

I know the tube doesn't look too pretty, but it really helps keeping the tank water in great condition.

Banana can't wait to move in (her QT tub is to the right next to the purple saki hikari pouch that you can partially see)

Interestingly in the first photo I see neither the snails nor Chibi. :huh:

Edit: I don't like how the piece of cuttlefish bone looks because it is the only all white thing in the tank. I gotta find me a better spot for it where it is not so obvious.

tank1112101.jpg

tank111210.jpg

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Thanks everyone! Hugo is gonna end up being all stuck up because of you guys :D

I just did the daily gravel vac of the pleco cave and as always checked the snail bathroom/goldfish sleeping corner and the intake of the filter is stronger than I thought, there was hardly any waste in that area. Definitely efficient and so worth the not so pretty look of the tubing.

Nice idea, but that would add even more brightness to the tank as I only find white clips or some that are clown fish colored/shaped. The piece I got right now sunk as it already is half eaten by the fish so I just need to find a nice hiding spot for it. Inside the pleco cave would be nice but I'm sure the pleco wouldn't appreciate sharing his little cave with the cuttlefish bone and two crazy snails. Plus there is all the pleco poop landing on the bone.

I am actually thinking about something like that. In the photos the tubing shows a lot more because of the camera flash, and I'm also not sure if I really want a completely black background. I'd like to go with a lavender-ish blue, sorta like the SLATEBLUE or DARKSLATEBLUE on this chart (left column). http://rogercortesi..../colorchart.png

The deep, bright blue that you often find for fish tanks would be too much of a contrast for my old eyes.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I love having a painted background on my tank, but you can also cut a peice of foamcore and tape it to the back. Right now I have both. I like a deep dark blue. But I also kind of like the way the wood paneling shows through in the background.

I love the minimalist look of the tank and different kind of rocks and pebbles on the floor.

and Hugo is breathtaking!

Thanks, everyone!

So I changed it even more but thanks to my darnn camera I can't show you. I removed about two thirds of the river rocks shown in the first picture; leaving only black, dark brown and a few of the red and tan ones; all the gravel is gone too.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang