Moving And Only Place For Tank Is Near Window

Guest amynicole

Guest amynicole

Hi,

I am moving and the only place in my new home that my husband is willing to let me put my tank is in the corner of the kitchen right near a huge window. I am wondering if its even worth it or if I will be contantly fighting algae.

Has anyone successfully kept a tank near a window without having huge algae problems? I'm stressing about this.

Amy

I would be more worried about keeping the water temp stable. Won't cooking and stuff make it get hot?

For the window problem you can put up some blinds and/or put on a backing.

Ummm it is your house too I woudl tell him he is out of luck since you clean the house (assuming here) you well put your tank where you want.

Everytime I see a post like this I am even more glad my husband and I respect each others hobbies. Its a give and take thing. He likes stuff I don't but I stay out of it and he is the same with my stuff.

Guest amynicole

Hidr, I know its my house too, but he is also giving in and letting me get another kitten when we move so I am compromising on his wanting the tank in the kitchen. It would be far away from cooking and it is a large kitchen. I am mostly worried about algae from the window.

And we both clean the house equally. He even does bathrooms (we take turns).

In that case, as Hidr said, either pull the blinds down or get a background for the tank to block out most of the light. This should keep the algae under control.

If you have a tank large enough to get another fish, you could get a bristlenose or rubberlip pleco which will keep your algae under control. My tanks are not directly by the window but the room has three large windows and gets sun most of the day. The two tanks with a pleco each in it never had much obvious algae. The QT tank though grows algae, so it definitely is the pleco helping to keep it clean.

I have a tank near an east window and I've only had minor algae issues occasionally, nothing a quick wipe with a scrubber can't fix :) I have sheer drapes on the window so light comes through all the time, but I don't open them till the sun's not shining on that side of the house.

When are you getting your kitten?! I just got a kitten this week, so I'm just cat obsessed lately, lol! Be sure to come over to Pet Brigade to share pics and stories when you get him :D

I have two tanks in front of windows on the same wall. One is an overstocked barebottom angel tank that grows algae everywhere and needs a constant scrub down. The other tank is an understocked betta tank with plants. Understocking and plants help a lot.

My 30 gal is by my sliding glass doors in the kitchen also. It was fine for over a year then just these last couple months it's been getting this tiny green algae. I think it helps that I don't use a tank light so it just gets the natural, indirect daylight. Anyway, I just scrub it off when I do the water changes and it's good again for awhile. :)