Newbie Pond

Guest mstrueblood

Guest mstrueblood

Hi there,

I'm a newbie at this, a teacher at a Cal high school who was talked into building a pond. We've got one up and running, about 150 gallons, with plants and a filter/aerator and 26 goldfish of the common kind.I just went to the local fishstore and they gave me a bag of fish for $5, what a great deal! Letting them loose was a real thrill and they're getting very big- started at about an inch and are now over 4 inches in just a month. My concern is that I have too many, what do you think?

Yes, you do have too many fish for the size of the pond. The common and comet type goldfish require 20 gallons of space per fish. So in a 150 gallon pond, you can have a maximum of 7 fish. As they grow (those type of goldfish grow big and fast!) they will easily fill and use all that space. I'd recommend trying to find people with larger ponds who'd be willing to take a few.

What type of pond is it and how strong is the filtration? The 20 gallons per common rule is usually used in aquariums which often have way better filtration than ponds (filtration 10x per gallon per hour).

Anyway, welcome to Koko's! You found the perfect place for advice with your goldfish matters :)

Glad to have you with us! Along with everyone else I too would look to re-home or return the extra fish to your LFS where they would accept them back. Commons do grow quite large and the 20 gallons of water per common GF will make your pond a success.

Welcome aboard! :hi