What To Do When Going Away For 5 Days

npila1

I'm leaving next Friday (in 8 days) and coming back on Wednesday, and I'm worried about my STL, so I wanted to see if you guys have any advice. I have already asked a friend to come feed them (once every 1-2 days) and because I don't want them to be overfed I will measure food and prepare it so that the right amount is ready to be added every time they are fed. The problem is that the friend that will be feeding them doesn't have any experience at all with goldfish, so I'm trying to decide what KIND of food to prepare. Should I just have her give them progold? Is it ok if it's not presoaked? Should I just get a live plant so that they can feed on it? Or put a slice of cucumber (got this idea from another thread) that they can feed on? I'm also worried about them choking so I want to make sure that whatever the food is, it will be hard for them to choke on it.

Any other tips about what to do before I leave to make sure they are ok while I'm away??? Thanks!

Funny, I was just talking to my hubby about the same thing yesterday and told him how I'd do it. Not an expert with this, but just thinking of things that would help.

Goldfish are fine without eating for days. In your case it will be five days, so it should be enough if your friend comes over on day 3 to feed them. You got all single tails, so that makes it easier as none of them will be in disadvantage when eating, so I think I'd just have her soak a prepared portion of the pellets they normally get and dump it in the tank, spreading it out a bit while doing that so all of the fish can get to the food.

Or instead - to make it easier for your friend - throw half of a quarter inch slice of peeled cucumber in there. Doesn't even need to attach it to a clip, the fish will nibble on the floating thing which probably is more difficult for them, but at least will make them eat it slower and keep them busy and entertained. This will take three fish a while to finish up and will provide food for more than just one meal. In my case, I got more fish than you and I put a full slice in there, is normally eaten up within 36 hours.

Then again if you throw in that half slice of cucumber before you leave and your fish will have food for two days, in that case your friend might not even have to come over at all, unless you want someone to check on the fish.

Thanks for the tips Fang!

So I've never fed them cucumber before... Do I just take a cucumber from the fridge and cut the slice (peeling it first of course)? I don't need to warm it up to make it softer or anything right? My three are relatively small and my Twinkle sometimes has to chew her (very small) progold pellets for a while, so I want to make sure they don't bite too big of a piece or anything... I think I'm gonna give them a slice sometime soon before I leave, just to see how it goes and if they like it!

I just hold mine under warm water for a few seconds and this will warm up the slice in a matter of seconds. I feed this to all my fish without softening. Even Chibi, the tiniest, has no problems. Cucumber isn't very hard really, but hard enough that they have to nibble on it instead of biting big chunks out, unless you have a really big fish. So I never had one choking on it either.

Trying it before you leave is a good idea. A fresh cucumber will last for a while in the fridge. I usually buy mine for salads and just save a couple slices for my fishies.

I just hold mine under warm water for a few seconds and this will warm up the slice in a matter of seconds. I feed this to all my fish without softening. Even Chibi, the tiniest, has no problems. Cucumber isn't very hard really, but hard enough that they have to nibble on it instead of biting big chunks out, unless you have a really big fish. So I never had one choking on it either.

Ok great I'll try that, thanks :)