Spare Tank

kshepherd87

For some reason I've always really hated the 10 gallon cube tank I use as a goldfish QT and hospital - I can never photograph goldfish in there properly because of it's curved corners and it seems to always cause me really bad luck! I recently bought a 17 gallon tub for goldfish QT so now this tank is surplus and instead of just burying it in the depths of my garage I'm thinking of cleaning and PPing it and giving it a second chance as a tropical tank. The only thing is I've never kept tropicals before so I'm a little clueless on their space and water requirements.

My tap water has a high ph of 8.2 but it's very stable - will this high ph be a problem for tropicals? From what I've read a lot like a more neutral ph so mine makes me nervous blink.gif I particularly like the idea of either dwarf puffers or fancy guppies and shrimp - with the fancy guppies and shrimp option, how much space do they generally need? My plan is to plant this tank - heavily for puffers or fairly lightly for the other option. Are there any other combinations of tropicals that would be happy in a 10 gallon? I'm open to suggestions :)

I have a suitable heater already and a light unit but my filter is a large goldfish suitable 10x filtration Fluval - will this be too much current for guppies etc?

I'm planning on seeding this tank with media from my goldfish tank (when it's cycled) so I have a while to think through my options :) I'll try to post some pictures later so you can see the tank and equipment in question!

Achacha! It'll work well as a planted setup with lots of cherry shrimps and assassin snails together, and then 5-6 fancy guppies or 2 dwarf puffers (no inverts included).:)

Edited by Lupin

Achacha! It'll work well as a planted setup with lots of cherry shrimps and assassin snails together, and then 5-6 fancy guppies or 2 dwarf puffers (no inverts included).:)

That sounds great Lupin, I love cherry shrimp! They have some really pretty fancy guppies at my lfs so I might go with them :) Do shrimp like having substrate? I keep my goldies bare bottom but I'm tempted with substrate and lots of plants for this tank.

They don't need it but I prefer shrimp tanks to be planted. Just as a note, don't overfeed since overfeeding is number one killer for shrimps. Cherry shrimps are prolific so you can sell your extras in no time although a few will end up eaten by guppies but in a heavily planted setup, more shrimp larva will survive.:)

They don't need it but I prefer shrimp tanks to be planted. Just as a note, don't overfeed since overfeeding is number one killer for shrimps. Cherry shrimps are prolific so you can sell your extras in no time although a few will end up eaten by guppies but in a heavily planted setup, more shrimp larva will survive.:)

Thanks Lupin :) I'll definitely plant the tank, I'm planning on planting it while my goldie tank cycles then I can steal some media! Will shrimp and guppies be ok with my 8.2 ph? Also, will my 10x gph filter be ok or should I get a smaller one for them?

Yep. Your guppies and shrimps will absolutely love it. Cherries are more accustomed to hard alkaline water. There's another but more delicate species, crystal red. They prefer the opposite so avoid those. They're darn expensive and easily drop dead anyway.

I'd get a smaller filter. 10x will be too much for them. Oh! Cover with stockings the filter strainer! Don't wanna suck the fish and shrimps alike dead.:o

I've been looking at setting up a guppy-shrimp tank too! But am trying to resist as the last thing I need right now is another fishtank. You're not allowed to put any photos of yours up because then I'll have to set one up too ok?!?! :rofl

I would add the guppies before the shrimps and make sure you know your filter is cycled and can deal with the bioload before getting the shrimp, they don't do at all well with ammonia...5x filtration is normal for tropicals :) Does your 10x filter have a turn-down? That might work instead of you having to buy a new filter.

Dwarf puffers are fun little fish too, my bf has one on his bedside table and he's a funny little guy. They're seriously messy though, need 10x filtration and lots of cover if you want more than one, Halfpint has a 6 gallon to himself and uses the whole thing. The good thing about only having one is we don't have to have it as heavily decorated as the whole thing is his territory, and he uses all of it, but he still manages to scare Stu by hiding. Depending on the dimensions of your tank I'd have a few reserves about keeping two in a square tank as the ground area for territories is smaller and you'd be more likely to have battles I think. You'd also be better with 2 females, 1:1 male to females often results in harassment and 2 males will wage war.

Good luck with whatever you decide :D Personally I think the guppies will be a better fit, and you'll see them more often, we only see Halfpint when he's hungry! Then he zooms up and down the glass and peers at us...

I've been looking at setting up a guppy-shrimp tank too! But am trying to resist as the last thing I need right now is another fishtank. You're not allowed to put any photos of yours up because then I'll have to set one up too ok?!?! :rofl

I would add the guppies before the shrimps and make sure you know your filter is cycled and can deal with the bioload before getting the shrimp, they don't do at all well with ammonia...5x filtration is normal for tropicals :) Does your 10x filter have a turn-down? That might work instead of you having to buy a new filter.

Dwarf puffers are fun little fish too, my bf has one on his bedside table and he's a funny little guy. They're seriously messy though, need 10x filtration and lots of cover if you want more than one, Halfpint has a 6 gallon to himself and uses the whole thing. The good thing about only having one is we don't have to have it as heavily decorated as the whole thing is his territory, and he uses all of it, but he still manages to scare Stu by hiding. Depending on the dimensions of your tank I'd have a few reserves about keeping two in a square tank as the ground area for territories is smaller and you'd be more likely to have battles I think. You'd also be better with 2 females, 1:1 male to females often results in harassment and 2 males will wage war.

Good luck with whatever you decide :D Personally I think the guppies will be a better fit, and you'll see them more often, we only see Halfpint when he's hungry! Then he zooms up and down the glass and peers at us...

rofl3.gif Haha, sure thing! I'll just be planting and setting up for the next month so you're safe for now - though after that I WILL be forced to tempt you into getting some pretty guppies of your own biggrin.gif You have been warned!!! heh.gif

The lowest my filter goes is a trickle setting for plants but it's still pretty powerful (it still pushes goldfish around on this setting) - I think I may just get a smaller one as it'll take up less room in the tank too. It's SO weird talking about getting smaller filters and putting more than one fish in a 10 gall - goldfish standards seem to be ingrained in me!

I'm definitely set on guppies and cherry shrimp I think - woo I'm soooooo excited! Now I need to start researching plants and substrate!