Indian Almond Leaves

devilduck

I came across these when searching for bettas on ebay (I'm not sure why I was searching as I'm not intending to buy but still) and have done some reading around. Is it worth me looking into getting some of these for KB? I'm not too bothered about the tannins but if all they do is lower the pH in the water then I won't bother as my tapwater comes out at 6.8 and drops to below 6 pretty quickly, I can just take the crushed coral out his tank and off he goes into acid water. Have any of you guys actually used them? What were your experiences?

Edited by devilduck
typos...

Yes, being in the Philippines, I have unlimited access to IAL. Initially, it will release heavy amounts of tannins which can quickly drop your pH so you have to boil the leaves for a moment to put the amount of tannins released under control. If your hardness is high, then you don't need to bother boiling them. Wild bettas and gouramis are not bothered by that at all. In fact, the more acidic to them, the better. They can thrive in a pH range of 4.0-8.0 (7.4 max for wild species).

One leaf at 7-8 inches is enough per 10 gallons of water. It must be replaced every 2-3 weeks before it disintegrates completely making quite a clutter in your tank.

For those in America, oak leaves are your alternative.

I know how to use them, my question is, is there any point for me?! Given that my water is rubbish at holding pH anyway, is there any point in me getting them though? I don't need them for my pH at all. I read something about them brightening colour and toughening scales, and making your betta more likely to heal quickly and resist infection, but this is the internet we're talking about and there's a lot of random junk out there.

Edited by devilduck

No. It's not necessary. It's up to you though and if you have to, then boil the leaves first so you can minimize the amount of tannins and avoid too much pH dip. You can cut them into small pieces and stuff in a nylon like a teabag.

Has anyone actually tried these and seen a difference in the condition of their fish? I'm thinking of getting some universal indicator or something so I can actually monitor how far below 6 my tapwater goes anyway as my pH kit doesn't go that far, and then I'm thinking of trying these and buffering it a little with crushed coral if needed to keep it around 5.5-6ish as that seems ideal. I don't want it dropping right down to silly acidic levels.