Breeding Stars?

flutterbudget

I've seen photos, but can't tell if what I'm seeing on my fish is the same. Are they raised, or just spots? On my fish I noticed just today a few very faint pale dots on both gill plates, but that is all and they are totally flat. I have tried and tried to get a picture, but he is such a spaz I can't get a close up. I'll post the best one I got, but I doubt you'll be able to see anything.

100_3479.jpg

Does this sound/look like what I'm seeing? Or is it something different?

Yep! Breeding stars, dear. Ich usually starts on the fins first and unless the spots are very well defined, then you are seeing breeding stars. Both the gill cover and front pectoral fins should have breeding stars. In orandas, ranchus, lionheads and lionchus, the breeding stars go as far as surrounding the eyes.

Do the breeding stars only show up when there is spawning behavior, or just sometimes anyway? I ask because the only other fish in the tank is quite young and small and I have no idea of the gender. Also because I wonder if I should be watching for behavior that could be problematic or dangerous to the much smaller fish.

Edited by flutterbudget

In my experience, they are more pronounced when they display breeding signs otherwise the spots just wait to pop out. But once they pop out, it'll be some time before the spots just fade away (quite a period if the fish appears to be uninterested in spawning again).

You think it might just be that he's at that age rather than an "in the mood" sort of thing? I know he's at least two, but I don't know exactly. And I know that his water conditions have been better over the last month than probably ever. Don't know it that would have any bearing.