I Know Its Been Said A Million Times....

• Supporter

I am going to post this even though I know it has been posted a million times. Watch your Python during water changes, no matter what.

I have been doing the same tank cleaning routine for 4 years and never had a problem, presumably because my water pressure is so crappy it barely sucks up water. I have actually had a fish swim into the suction tube and swim back out while it was draining-more than once. But for some reason today my calico telescope, Lisa, swam into it and lost an eye. I thought she was dead, so the eye injury made me feel a little better but I almost threw up. Hopefully she will be ok and live a happy life with her tankmate, Leela, a one-eyed black moor that I bought that way. But darn it, WATCH YOUR PYTHONS! Complacency is not a good thing.

Thanks for listening.

It's a good thing to make threads like this every so often as accidents happen all the time to anyone! Pythons suck up fish if we are not concentrating and they can also drain tanks dry (my terrible, horrible experience :hide: ). Good to share..good to focus and beware of multi-tasking at w/cs!

Best recovery wishes to Lisa :exactly

Every since I pulled they eye off of Sunny I have used an net on the end of mine when I am not vacuuming the tank. When I do that I am holding it and moving it around. But when I am done with that and just taking out water I put the net on. Works like a charm.

I use a net that used to contain tomatoes and a rubber band from asparagus :angelstaf: I don't have to vacuum gravel.

I feel for you, I did that when I was a teenager, sucked a fish right into tube and got stuck. Absolutely horrifying.

• 3 weeks later...

When I was gradeschool, I was vacuuming my tank and looked away for a few seconds when I heard the water flow stop. My poor fish had been sucked in, but fortunately I removed him relatively unharmed, although he must have been traumatized :(