Help! My Fish Just Lost An Eye!

jen626

• Supporter

I am the worst fish mom ever. I wasn't watching the Python like an idiot and my telescope, Lisa, swam into the tube and her eye got sucked out! My water pressure is so crappy the Python varely sucks water and I have had fish swim into the tube before and then swim out without issue, But I know better. I am trying not to freak out too much. She seems ok otherwise, I thought she was dead at first but I turned off the water and tried to get her out and when that didn't work I reversed the water and turned it on a little and she wiggled out and swam away. She is swimming nornally and actually ate a piece of stray food. The socket has some loose tissue hanging off of it but the whole eye came out (my ryukin tried to eat it). Now she is sitting on the bottom of the tank, which is normal for her after a water change.

So, besides hating myself for hurting my fish, what can I do for her? Should I put her in a qt tank by herself with a .1 % salt and a heater to boost her immune system? I feel absolutely sick.

Background info: This is a 4" body (probably 8" with tail) calico telescope, about 3 years old, otherwise healthy but a bit sensitive. She lives in a 55 gallon tank with four other fish, a ryukin, a fantail, a moor and, ironically, a one-eyed black moor that I bought that way. Tank has been cycled for 2+ years, only additives are Prime and Buff-it-Up, 1200 gph filtration, barebottom, params 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5 nitrates, 7.0 ph, change at least 25% water weekly. She eats Pro-gold, spirulina and occasional veggies.

Thank you for any advice.

Edited by jen626

Oh Jen!!! :( I'm so sorry, how horrible and upsetting. YOU ARE NOT A BAD FISHMOM!!!! We have all done similar. It's the shock more than anything! Really, your fish is going to be fine and if it is a clean cut, complete removal all the more so- longterm.

What do you have in the tank with her? Could you add salt or Melafix there? I am wondering if there is no blood and it looks like a clean wound if its not better to leave her be. Just because she has been stressed and needs to destress and familiar home can do that...

Post back hun! :heart

• Supporter

Thanks Trinket, I still feel terrible and will have to add this to the list of Horror Stories that involve unwatched Pythons. Lisa is in the tank with 2 black moors *one of them has a single eye-I bought him that way), a calkico ryukin and a calico fantail. There is literally nothing in the tank but the fish and the filter intakes, no gravel or ornaments or anything. I was kind of thinking the same thing about leaving her as long as she isn't being bothered. There was no blood and it looks like a complete removal. She and her longtime tank mate Bart and huddled in the corner (he has sbd issues and is a bottom fish) of the tank, next to her eye. I need to get that out. Poor baby, I hope she isn't in any pain.

I don't have any Melafix on hand but I could do salt in the whole tank...I don't see why not if you think that is a good idea. I think moving her unecessarily wouldn't be best too, that was my gut feeling. Should I pick up some Melafix tomorrow? I know if she heals she will be ok because my one eyed moor is a Superfish. Thank you so much...I feel less sick now.

Sorry I missed your original explanation in post #1 of who is in the tank.

0.1% salt never hurt anyone. Even 0.2% will not affect Bbs in an established tank like yours..I would start with 0.1% asap. Obviously you just did a w/c so all is good....I would stay at 0.1% for a week.

If you can, get some melafix to add too. It is good for wounds. That is what teatree oil was originally advocated for.

I should get the eye out, to make everyone feel better and maybe increase the temp very slowly just slightly. She is not in serious pain if she tried to eat...don't worry about that :hug.

• Supporter

She actually looks happier than she did before for some reason. She is one of those telescopes with HUGE eyes and she had that fluid-y thing where they are really wiggley, especially the one she lost. Maybe she did it on purpose? She is pretty smart after all..

I will add the salt right away and get some Melafix in the morning-it is available in the US right? Like at one of the big chain stores? If i am lucky my lfs will have some. So far the other fish are not bothering her other than Bart mourning the eye. I took the eye out and flushed it, thinking that being in that situation was something I never would have dreamed of five years ago before I started my addiction...oops I mean hobby...to goldfish. We jokingly call this the special needs tank because of the one eyed moor, my moor with sbd and Daryl aka Nemo who is missing a front fin from birth. So i guess she fits right in! I am going to have to dig up a heater, this tank isn't normally heated. But whatever it takes!

Trinket, your advice is invaluable, you really made me feel better. Thanks for being there! :heart

Oh gosh, now I spilled salt into the tank! Will eting it hurt them? I hope not, about 20 granules of rock salt fell in. I feel REALLY smooth tonight.

Edited by jen626

Pleasure!!!!!:heart

I know it helps to just talk things out when something like this happens. You knew what you had to do.

Yes, as said above, you can buy Melafix at almost all P.e.t.c.o.s and other stores in the US..it is useful to keep around and keeps for ever.

Please let us know if anything unexpected happens like bleeding or loss of appetite, otherwise everything sounds fine. If the water is warmish you

may even do without the heater...

My fish have eaten salt before and were okay - not really a good idea though. Maybe distract them with a pea until it dissolves??

You can put the salt in a cup of tank water first and stir until thoroughly or mostly dissolved. Should be safe enough to drop to the tank by then.

I'm sorry this happened. Accidents happen. Don't blame yourself for that, Jen. Chalk it to lessons learned.:)

Oh I am so sorry thins happened! I sucked my bubble eye into the python and exploded both bubbles! It was awful! Now I am always SO careful. I don't let anyone talk to me when I do w/cs.

I hope the little one gets better. Hopefully there isn't any internal damage if you had such a low suction.

So Sorry about your Teli :( but it does sound like all the basics have been covered,and my Daughter wonders why I can't talk to her or anyone while I'm doing water changes ;) I'm sure your little one will heal up just fine and now your one eyed moor wont feel so lonely :) keep the water super clean with a bit of salt and your good to go :) Don't beat your self up thats why there called accidents ;)

Just wanted to stop by and offer some encouragement. :hug We've all done things like that. But at least your little one seems to be alright and you're doing all you can to help heal her. :heart