Goldfish Powerpoint

Hi Koko's.

College has kept me busy, but I am calling upon you all for some help!

I'm making a power point for a final in a computer applications class. I'm going to be doing mine on Goldfish.

This is the thread I'm going to use when I need suggestions!

My first question for you all is, what are some common misconceptions about goldfish, and how where they disproved to you?

Right now, I have: Short memory, short life span, can live in bowls, are a cheap pet.

Thanks!

I think because they are generally a "cheap" pet to buy, they are considered as a disposable pet. I also think people only consider them to have short life spans because they always die quickly - due to a lack of care, so people just assume its normal for a goldfish to die after a short time... if that makes sense LOL

Another common misconception is that they only grow to their tank size - while this may be somewhat true, people just don't understand the lethal implications this has on the fish.

Also regarding size, people think they are a small fish and dont realise just how big they can truly grow!

I have one... When I was working at Pet*smart I overheard a customer telling her friend that goldfish are "just carp, so they don't need a lot of oxygen". As we all know, this couldn't be further from the truth! Goldfish were originally river fish, and river fish are adapted to very oxygen-rich environments. So actually the goldfish requires very high amounts of dissolved oxygen in the water.

I think a lot of people just think all goldfish are just like commons. They don't understand all the different varieties. Some people might look at a bubble eye or a pearlscale for example, and think they are a totally different type of fish.

I think you should include how attached some fish to each other and how "tame" they get. Also the issue of deseases they can get or how feeding flakes can make them ill. Explain the whole sensitive system with the cycle so people realise that a well cared for tank is a tiny but real eco system.

Thanks guys!

I'll add the myth that they only grow to their tank size in along with the section about how they can live in bowls.

I have a picture of Bruce as well as an 18in, 7lb common goldfish.

I also have a section touching on just SOME of the fancy varieties.

Aaand a crash course in the cycle.

If the issue about them being feeder fish comes up, I plan to address it. My stance is that they aren't nutritious food and can introduce disease into aquariums.

Sounds excellent!

About the disease make surey ou add the poor conditions that they're kept in that lead to the disease. I.E dying in unfiltered teeny tanks and dead bodies floating around in the tanks.

Best of luck. I'm sure things will go well and everyone will be curious. It is amazing how little 99% of people know about goldies and their needs.

Oh, that reminds me of a statistic to throw in. 99% of goldfish bought from petstores die within the first month of ownership. Yep. I guess that is New Tank Syndrome.

Thanks guys!

I'll add the myth that they only grow to their tank size in along with the section about how they can live in bowls.

I have a picture of Bruce as well as an 18in, 7lb common goldfish.

I also have a section touching on just SOME of the fancy varieties.

Aaand a crash course in the cycle.

If the issue about them being feeder fish comes up, I plan to address it. My stance is that they aren't nutritious food and can introduce disease into aquariums.

True that. Do you have the info to thiaminase issue already?

True that. Do you have the info to thiaminase issue already?

No, but arm me with the knowledge in case someone decides to debate with me!

Trinket, tell me more about this statistic. Where did you find it?

Edited by Iheartfishies1172

No, but arm me with the knowledge in case someone decides to debate with me!

Check this. All references have been included so I'd also check those.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167891

Oh wow, very enlightening.

So enlightening that it is blinding for idiots who continue to use goldfish as feeders for their monster fish, no matter how I try to discourage them from using goldies as such. Then they cry to us, "My fish got HITH, internal parasites, lice, etc!" :wa

:hummm

I found it on a random stats site on the net some years ago. I posted it first in a random fact thread that LucyX fish started here at Kokos (in the game room) . That thread is still somewhere in the archives here. I beleive I quoted the site in that thread. Let me see if I can dig that up for you later tonite...I am at work right now so get distracted every few minutes and dont have a long stretch of time to browse.

I found it on a random stats site on the net some years ago. I posted it first in a random fact thread that LucyX fish started here at Kokos (in the game room) . That thread is still somewhere in the archives here. I beleive I quoted the site in that thread. Let me see if I can dig that up for you later tonite...I am at work right now so get distracted every few minutes and dont have a long stretch of time to browse.

That would be really interesting to read! Thanks!

You could enlarge on the personalities of gf--like happy when they see us and start swimming/dancing all around for their food. Or how they grieve when they lose a friend like mine did. When I first got back into gf I bought two tiny little 1" commons. They were toghether for a few months and grew and looked good. Then one passed away and the other one just went and hid behind some plants at the back of the tank until I put in some new fish a few days later. I didn't know about qt back then but it worked out ok. Other people here have poignant stories about their gf grieving as well as how some of their fish are best buddies and always follow each other around and hang out.

Unfortunately I'm supposed to stay under 10 mins, I already have 11!

It's not written on the slide, but it is something I will be saying on the personality/memory slide, that they develop relationships and show signs of grieving when other fish die or are removed from the tank.

We aren't supposed to read directly off of our presentation either, which makes sense, so I hope I can remember to say everything I want to under pressure.