Why Is My Fish Darting Across The Tank?

He is darting around because of poor water conditions and or ammonia poisoning.

Did you know fancy goldfish need a bare minimum of 10 gallons each? A 2.5 gallon is slowly poisoning your fish because of poor water conditions. Immediately get rid of the under gravel filter since they just add to the problem with goldfish. I would get a hang on the back fitler that turns over 100 gallons of water per hour or more and a 10 gallon tank or larger. :)

Edited by Haruka

Just because he seems Ok does not mean he is ok. He is darting due to poor water quality. In a small tank like that you need to do daily 50% water changes. Did you know you need to cycle your tank?

• Supporter

hi there,

welcome to koko's

thank you for posting your concern about your fish.

i am supporting the advise our members have given you regarding the tank size.. it is important that you know and understand that for your fish to receive a "healthy lifestyle" it needs the room in which to grow and survive..

what happens when your fish is in such a small environment, is the body stops growing, but the organs don't :yikes then, as this happens, the fish begins to behave "unnaturally" as you can see (your fish is actually suffering :cry1 ) . it is really improtant that you understand that per fancy fish you need to provide a minimum of 10 gallons of water in a rectangular tank (not a bowl) with a good filtration system.. as you fish eats and "poops", it releases harmful toxins into the water called ammonia. if your tank is not cycled, this turns into poison and kills the fish.

in a tank the size that you have provided, i would be doing an 80% water change PER DAY. and probably TWICE PER DAY.

there are cheaper options available to you if you cannot afford an upgrade right now.. there are rubbermaid tubs from your most cheapest department chain stores, or there is an online seller that often sells glass, rectangular tanks for $1 per gallon.. i will get hakura to mention which stores offer these bargains as i am from australia and not sure of who they are.

please understand, i post here to you today, not to cause you any grief, but to help eduacate you to understand how to care for your fish. the fish you have can live many years.. over 10 as a matter of fact and close to 20 years, provided you are giving him the best chance in life.

there is heaps of information availabe on koko's forum pages, and of course, you are welcome at any time to ask a question as you already have, we are friendly and happy to help :)

good luck!

:D I agree with Helen who posted above. You can find some cheap rubbermaid tubs at target or nnnnnn or the dollar store for about $8 and they hold 13 gallons or more. You can use that as a temporary tank for your fish :D

Have you ever been on craigslist? They often have excellent deals on tanks!

and i was also thinking about getting a calico ryunkin to go with yam he seems a little lonely

20 gallons is the very minimum size for 2 fancy goldfish, 30 would be better. I have 2 in a 25, and hope to upgrade soon to a 40-50 gallon for them. If you can afford bigger now, I'd go bigger than 20!

Edited by redfish

I would wait until your filter is cycled (able to process all the toxins) before you buy another fish, otherwise you're going to have twice as much poison produced. Make sure you look into a big filter (that has a flowrate of 10x the volume of your tank per hour or greater) and also a full freshwater test kit with drops (by API or similar), it should include tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrates and pH, and will help you monitor how far along your cycle is. When you are cycled you can look into getting another fish :)

Good luck getting your little buddy back on track :)