Is This Normal?

Deku

I have this red ryukin. Which I bought at nnnn last christmas(maybe a little before...in months)

The goldfish when I bought it was like 1.5inch. Now its been a year and Sunny(thats his name) has only grown to like 2.5inches or 3inches. Iam a tad worried... Cause my common goldfish are like 4inches now and they were bought 3months after getting Sunny.

Btw. Sunny looks like go to migalo's profile(I think thats how its spelt) and he has this signature of an orange goldfish. My goldfish is like that. His tail was nipped at by another goldfish which passed away. Not only is he small, but he doesnt like it when I come near the tank. He nows swims away whenever I put my hand on the glass of the tank. I ussed to feed him every other day and sometimes every 2-3days. Cause my dad used to tell me that I overfed my fish. Back 4years ago I used to feed my goldfish every day 2times a day, a year later he died. But now I read here that you have to feed a goldfish 4times a day. Which is confusing cause I was told I overfed him. I feed him hikari. But its just a pink/red bag. Its not saki hikari. Its a fancy goldfish food. But I dont know the exact name of it. I also feed it reptomin(once every couple of days) just cause it really likes it. I also feed it 4 peas every other day. I also feed it freeze dried krill and plankton.

Hes in a 55g.

Ps. He looks like the goldfish in my avi <--- except the bulging eyes. He has a long tail. Not tooo long. But say 1/3 or 2/3 of its body length.

The black/purple spot in its hea d its fading day by day.

Edited by SolarFish

Ps. Tommorrow or maybe friday my moms taking me to the petstore to get new fish foods. Iam trying to find saki hikari for fancy goldfish. What stores ussually have em? I went on nnnn.com and it only shows like 4diff. type of fancy hikari foods. one for lionhead, one for oranda, one blue bag that I dont know whats its saying, and I think the other is white. But no saki hikari. It says "assorted hikari foods for goldfish". I was told by taylor that frozen bloodworms is good for them. But for some reason the fish is very finicky. Will he take it? Obviously22 eat the pellets. HE likes pelleted foods alot. But Iam trying to find other stuff to feed along with the staple diet. So it doesnt get finicky like it is now, and so it gets as m uch nutrients as possible. I was thinking of giving a bit of banana. But Iam not sure22 eat it. Cause one time I took the top of the banana I was eating and ploped it in the tank. They just nipped at it, but lost interest. I tried carrots(shredded and diced) he doesnt like em. I tried lettuce. Doesnt like it. Grapes doesnt like it. So Iam trying to give him some natural foods and I dont know what to do anymore. I havent tried giving oranges. He does love peas. He likes em de-shelled and mooshed. I just want whats best for him. I also would like to know how to get him to stop being afraid of me. I mean he doesnt run from me, but he backs away slowly. And he also likes to swim in the area where the uvb bulb is. He currently is in my baby turtles tank(dont worry, the turtle has never nipped him and its only for a co uple of weeks). He gets uvb/uva rays through this light I bought for my turtle. Iam thinking, maybe when I set up a tank specially for him(I think its a he, cause he likes to chase thise other goldfish around, along with the commet thats with him. both like to do it.) that Id use a uv strip light. Maybe one for marine tanks. Idc how much Ihave to pay, I just want him to be really happy. Iam getting a job soon so that should be no problem.

Btw I just wanted to say, thanks guys for being extremely patient with me and answering all my questions. I mean I do my own research. But I wanna make sure what I read is correct, because Iam horrible and I mean horrible at doing research. xD I rather be safe than sorry. Also special thanks to:

-Haruka, koko, Fang, Lupin, Sakura, Blacktele(I think thats his name), RanchuDressing(I think thats the name), Country(I cant remember the other part of the name. Sorry, I forgot to write it down.), and everyone else whose been helping me constantly. Thanks for your help.

He's a ryukin. Ryukins get nowhere near as long as comets. That's why comets are pond fish since they grow so fast adn get over a foot long. How often do you feed?

i feed him now daily. i used to feed every other day

• Admin

I dont know to much about that food, cause I feed mine Progold from goldfishconnection but Im sure others have used that food :)

He maybe hiding cause of the comet in there being so much faster than him, have you tested the water to make sure everything is a okay, sometimes fish act like this too if something is off :(

Feeding every other day may have messed up his growth since he's a baby. Babies need to be fed more often. What are the breeds of all the fish in the tank?

he doesnt look stunted(no bulging eyes) and a ryukin(sunny) and two comets

I dont know to much about that food, cause I feed mine Progold from goldfishconnection but Im sure others have used that food :)

He maybe hiding cause of the comet in there being so much faster than him, have you tested the water to make sure everything is a okay, sometimes fish act like this too if something is off :(

the waters fine. maybe the comets. but he chases one of em

Do you have the numbers for the water params anyway? That always helps.

How many comets are in your 55 gallon? Chasing is not good.

just 2 the ryu chases the girl

76degrees, hard-alkaline

Edited by SolarFish

My single tails grew a lot faster than my fancies, and if he's grown an inch to an inch an a half, you may not need to worry. I fed mine 3 times a day when babies, 2 times a day now. Does he get his fair share at feeding time?

My single tails grew a lot faster than my fancies, and if he's grown an inch to an inch an a half, you may not need to worry. I fed mine 3 times a day when babies, 2 times a day now. Does he get his fair share at feeding time?

eats like a swine

sometimes it takes a few tries to get them to eat new foods,mine didn't know what to do with banana the first few times i tried it now it don't last but a quick minute ;) (LOL)

ima try mooshing it thend.

@Buggybear: what do you mean?

They're lucky because you care enough to worry, lots of fish ( and other pets) don't have that :)

thanks. I just feel that Iam doing alot of things wrong. Especially now. I think the ryukin may have anchorworm. Idk its a string thats attached to its head. I just noticed it. Its white. I did feed it banana. It tried eating but some of it he spat it back out. The rest he swallowed down. I wish I could check it personally. But it keeps moving and I cant inspect it too well...

It could be slime coating. What;s your pH level? The last thing you want to do is over mother a fish. When that happens that's when things get worse. Leave them alone adn they do just fine. :)

It could be slime coating. What;s your pH level? The last thing you want to do is over mother a fish. When that happens that's when things get worse. Leave them alone adn they do just fine. :)

Like I said in the previous posts my water quality is hard alkaline. PH: 7