My New Fish Is A Bully

enesta

My new telescope eye is about twice the size of my black moor and s/he had been coming up behind the black moor and budding against him. I thought and others thought (after I showed video) that it could be mating. But s/he hasn't stopped and now s/he does it during feeding. The orange fella will push the smaller black moor away from the food. Is there a remedy to this that doesn't include separating the two?

I also was having problems with their poop - it was dark with air bubbles. I think I fixed that by soaking food first, but now this poop appeared,

pooplv.jpg

According to koko's descriptions it could be underfeeding or stress (it's the same color as their food). I doubt it's stress, so maybe I'm not feeding enough? I feed two pinches of omega 1 pellets a day. The pinches take them at least 5 minutes to finish eating.

Trailing poop is a sign of overfeeding. They say a goldfish's stomach is about the size of its eye. So depending on the food, you might need to feed one pellet, three or five. The food I feed my guys is really small so they get five each and it takes them about ten seconds to eat it all.

Here are a few...

asdflr.jpg

dsc0242l.jpg

dsc0244wn.jpg

and a funny bonus shot,

dsc0247o.jpg

He/she also has a much bigger mouth and gets more food (probably most of the food) than the black moor, just sucks it up like a vacuum. Ironically I got this fella so that the moor could get food easier than with his last mate.

I wonder if temporary separation would help, and during this time you feed Slate several small meals a day while Penelope gets only very little once a day. Just enough to not make her starve, to try to fatten Slate up a bit. I don't see breeding stars on either one of them, and in the photos the pectoral fin doesn't show well enough to tell me the gender. Then again for the longest time I thought my Orange Fishie was a boy and now she turns out to be a girl too - all SEVEN of my fish... :glare:

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Well I don't have resources for separation unfortunately, unless I buy a tank divider. I could try the breeder box thing, but picking him up twice a day and putting him in there seems stressful and potentially damaging to fins.

I find the tank dividers at the lps a bit pricey so i would recommend craft canvas from your local wally world its much cheaper..as for the bullying you could also pick up a plastic Colander from your local dollar store and float the bully init for a bit, kind of like a time out ;)

• Supporter

i agree with koko and the peas.. at least this may fix the poop problem.. but as far as bullying goes it's hard to say.. there are never any "real" solutions and a few members have actually rehomed the bully fish because no matter what was happening, it just wasn't working.

i had an issue once and i created the "naughty tank".. basically, i set up the qt in sight of the main tank and put jewel and hershey in there for two weeks. this was maaaaany months ago.. it seemed to have solved the problem, but jewel has from time to time strutted her stuff again.. hershey on the other hand has remained peaceful.

an el cheapo colander as suggested by shellbell is a great idea to seperate whilst feeding. you don't need to pick any of them up, you just swoop the colander in there and trap whichever fish you want to seperate. i then pin it to the glass with a veggie clip and release when feeding is pretty much done. make sure the rim of the colander is flush or just above the surface of the water so that the trapped fish cannot free itself. just make sure there is enough room in there for him.. being a colander, the water will flow through with no problems.

good luck :)

Thanks for the tips - I tried the colander thing. Penelope wasn't scared, just seemed annoyed. It seemed to work though - I fed Penelope a pea while Slate was able to eat. I then tried to put Slate in the colander to see how he'd take it - he was more scared. As soon as Penelope got out she went and bullied him - I think she was thinking there was food she was missing out on, but she calmed down as of now.

I'll keep trying it, even though it's a bit of a hassle/tough to get her in there, I'll have to look for a better shaped one.

• Admin

This is looking more like a personality conflict with them, I have had fish in the past that did this, so much so one of them was sucking the eyes off on of my other fish, no joke I saw it :o

I could tell from the photos, the pectoral fins were thin and no pearls on it :)