Death Prevention?

Deku

After reading a sad story on here about how a womans goldfish died by a freak accident when doing water changes. I was wondering. Could you seperate the goldfish when you do water changes? So that you dont harm em?

You could separate them but it could be more stressful to the fish.

The best thing to do is keep an eye on them during water changes. Personally, my siphon isn't strong enough to kill my fish, even if they stop swimming against it.

You could separate them but it could be more stressful to the fish.

The best thing to do is keep an eye on them during water changes. Personally, my siphon isn't strong enough to kill my fish, even if they stop swimming against it.

ahh ok then

• Admin

If you have a hose that is strong all you need to do is put a sponge on the end so that no fish can get sucked up, or put up a tank divider when doing a water change, just make sure it has slits so the water can pass through :)

:) Exactly, seriously don't over worry. It's on rare occassion, they will learn to swim to the other side of the tank when you bring in the hose.

Although Soochi likes to play with it since it's not a strong pull.... What kind of Siphon do you have?

I had it happen to a goldie years ago when I 1st got my Python! The Python is VERY powerful! You can NOT leave it unattended! I have a big tank and after cleaning really good, when doing a BIG water change it CAN be a little boring to hold the barrel. So I place it in a corner with net covering the intake. Then I sit right next to the tank.

Yes, just being very careful. Boog likes to "taste" and poop/dirt stirred up when I do a water change...heaven forbid he missed out on a potential morsel of food. So he swims around the vacuum, I'm just careful to steer it away from him.

Once we have a larger tank and I go the Python route(siphon & bucket do for now) I will net the vacuum end.

:) Exactly, seriously don't over worry. It's on rare occassion, they will learn to swim to the other side of the tank when you bring in the hose.

Although Soochi likes to play with it since it's not a strong pull.... What kind of Siphon do you have?

My friend gave it to m e. Though I wanna change syphons soon cause this one sucks it has the weakest pull ever. It doesnt even pull all the poop out. But Iam asking, cause when I used to work in a petstore I remember all the syphons I used and there was this one that pulled every little bit of fish poop out from the gravel, and right after it, itd be sparkly clean. It had a strong pull. Not strong enough that itd pulll the fish from the other side. but strong enough a fish cou ld get stuck there. I had a goldf ish get stuck there. The fish was small and thetube was very wide. It was made to prevent this kind of problem with SMALLER fish. But since sunny is a fatty he might get stuck. Which is why Iam afraid.

Best advice...always cover the suction end with something. It is just too easy to look away for a second & boom a goldie is sucked in! I even use my Python as a regular siphon hose (NOT hooked to the sink) when cleaning & removing water and STILL the suction is extremely powerful!! (I only actually hook it to the faucet when refilling!) Best to err on the side of safety and cover those intake tubes!

((Gotta be careful when refilling TOO it is easy to run a tank over!! Nothing like the sound of a WATERFALL in your living room to bring you back to reality!!!!))

• 2 weeks later...

Mine also love to root around in the gravel next to the python. Never had a problem with them getting sucked into it and I actually do leave it unattended as it drains down the tank after I'm through vacuuming.

ANYTIME you leave it unattended be SURE to place a net over the barrel!! It is easy for a curious fish to get pulled in & the powerful suction can literally tear them open!!! The BEST thing is to ALWAYS be right there with it!!!

Edited by Jeana727