New Betta Q's

Elle

Hey all,

Got a new betta set up in a Fluval Chi 5 gallon tank with live plants for cover. He's a red/purple crowntail, very active in the store and active at first in the tank when we got him home. However, we had some difficulties stabilizing the tank heat - our house is very cold, and the tank temp wasn't getting high enough, and he was got very sluggish, we think from the cold (it was down around 68F). I think we now have it stabilized at around 80F, but he still tends to rest either on the bottom or in the plants with short bursts of swimming activity and rising to breathe now and then. His colour looks good, and when he swims he flares the fins and attacks the thermometer or his reflection occasionally (very aggressive betta). However, he doesn't seem to eat much either. I think I saw him take one betta pellet so far, I feed 2-3 pellets once a day and remove any uneaten food later to keep the water clean.

Tank water tests out at 0ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites, PH about 7. We jump started the cycle with live betta tank gravel, but I'm still doing about 20% water changes every other day.

Do they tend to be inactive with short activity bursts like this, or should I worry?

Edited by Elle

Some bettas tend to be a bit lazier than others. I would not worry yet since you just got him and manage to get his tank warmer. He may just be getting settled. Keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't develop any other symptoms. :)

Mine always take a day or two to settle. I moved my betta from an unfiltered tank in the kitchen to a different filtered tank with a light in the bedroom on Monday. He either stayed right in the corner near the top or buried himself in the plants for the first 24 hours or so but now he's out playing in the filter current and scooting about. You can try squirting some frozen bloodworms (like 2-3) in the tank and see if he'll eat them, they love frozen bloodworms!