Cut Fins :(

npila1

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 0

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.5

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 6.8 (I use buff it up)

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

[*]Water temperature? 78

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gallons, 4 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Aquaculture/tetra 10-30 gallons

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? twice a week, 30%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 comet and 1 common, 2.5 inches each

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? twice a day, progold, peas, corn, tetra flakes, freeze dried bloodworms, banana

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? PraziPro for the past 1.5 month - also 0.05% salt (I had it at 0.1% and it has been going down through water changes)

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? There cuts on Twinkle's pelvic fins. Yesterday I saw a "split" on her pelvic fin and decided to watch it and then today I saw that there are two big cuts on that fin (it looks like someone bit them off - see photos below)and then a small piece also seems to be missing on the other fin (see the first photo for that)

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No, only some yawning and gulping at the surface which is probably because of the flukes

http://s932.photobucket.com/albums/ad163/npila1/?action=view&current=DSC_0003.jpg

http://s932.photobucket.com/albums/ad163/npila1/?action=view&current=DSC_0010arrows.jpg

http://s932.photobucket.com/albums/ad163/npila1/?action=view&current=DSC_0011.jpg

What do you think this is? Is it something that will heal with some salt or is it something serious?

Let me start by saying your fish are really cute. I love single tails. :)

I think the salt will heal their fins with time, just keep a close eye on them to make sure it doesn't get worse. :)

It looks to me as if your tank hasn't cycled yet, you have no nitrates which seems odd considering that you are very overstocked? Keep a close eye on your water parameters.

Let me start by saying your fish are really cute. I love single tails. :)

I think the salt will heal their fins with time, just keep a close eye on them to make sure it doesn't get worse. :)

It looks to me as if your tank hasn't cycled yet, you have no nitrates which seems odd considering that you are very overstocked? Keep a close eye on your water parameters.

Thanks caitie! So I should just raise the salt to 0.1% and there is no need for medication? I also have melafix but I don't want to add it unless it's necessary...

I had nitrates (about 5 ppm) up until a few weeks ago and around that time I started using prime and after that it has stayed at 0.

Yes I think just the salt will help, meds aren't necessary. If it gets worse than let us know and we can always try something else, but I'm sure the salt will help here. :)

Yes I think just the salt will help, meds aren't necessary. If it gets worse than let us know and we can always try something else, but I'm sure the salt will help here. :)

Ok sounds good, I'll let you know how it goes :)