Jump to content

New Fish Qt Smells Of Sea Water (!?!?!)


Recommended Posts

  • Regular Member

So last night we brought home my new Dalmatian Ryukin. For the first time the bag water smelled a bit. I tested the ammonia and it was FOUR!!! But there was some Koi product inside suppose to act like Prime and protect the fish. Hopefully that worked. This guy was a big thrasher during the trip - unlike the other 3 who were very relaxed.

My issue is that now the fish is in his QT with filter, couple of airstones and Zeolite - params are all 0. pH is stable at 8.4 and temp stable at 22. Well, the water smells... :blink:

Water was fresh last night (at 2am when we arrived) and I did a 50% w/c this morning. And am planning to do one tonight again.

It isn't a stink like I had with sick fish. Here it is a slight smell of SEA WATER :ignore:idont All I can describe is that is smells salty. Like sea food a little. Not the stinky fish smell I had with real sick fish.

Has anyone experienced this before? I am worried I am smelling an overload of bacteria? Oh and the tank is slightly cloudy I believe (zeolite was well rinsed so that isn't it).

I was thinking of not salting this time around but maybe I should remove the Zeolite and salt? Because if it is indeed bacteria stink I have to protect the fish some way? Raising it to 0.2 or 0.3% should allow the guy to fight off whatever is attacking him?

So far he seems very healthy and happy fish - unlike the other 3 he swam around right away. He ate this morning some broccoli.

What do you guys think?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I think I would do a water change too. The fish is stressed from the trip, and when they're stressed they purge nasty stuff into the water. That's probably why the ammonia was so high in his bag, for example. I think if you just do extra water changes until you no longer notice a smell everything will be alright. Just because there may be a bacterial bloom in the tank, doesn't mean it's attacking him. Since it's an uncycled QT, I'd keep the zeolite in there for sure, because if you remove it and use salt, there will be trace ammonia which will be more damaging than anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Thanx for the input guys.

Water is aging now and I will be able to do the next 50% in about 1hr.

I agree with you Sakura, especially since he is acting all happy he seems to not be too affected.

Thanx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

w/c done! It still smells a bit. I will re-age some water and do another 50% before going to bed. But we have made some progress as the tank is no longer cloudy :):bingo:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

3rd 50% w/c of the day done. The smell is still there (less strong but for sure there). Do I just continue this way? Little guy is still acting perfectly happy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

when dealing with a new fish that has been transported or shipped and therefore stressed and exposed to poor water conditions I do the following in QT:

disinfect bath and antibiotic bath repeated thre times. later ,few days, parasite treatment.

Before i did it with peroxide or formalin and salt.

Now use a cocktail of arciflavine, coper sulfate, metelblu ( Desemoor by Aquarium Munster) and enrofloxine (baytril) or simular bath repeated 2 times then parasite treatment later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

HI Mirkoll, I am just a little reluctant in using anything strong because this guy has just gotten out of a full month of Qt including various shots etc. I don't want to add to the overload of meds right now. Is there anything milder I can use?

Thanx Hidr, I might add the carbon if it continues. I just like to be able to 'smell' for problems. I think that usually it is a good warning sign.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Is there anything milder I can use?

Metilene of blue is very mild. . Just the Dessamor by Aquarium Munster or something like that is ok as a bath. But if fish has already been cleaned and you are satiified that it is active and healthy then it only needs to recover transport shock and if it survives the month then can have a parasite cleaning .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

My boyfriend, who knows nothing and dislikes fish - has really been taking a liking to this new fish. ANyways, he came up with a smart idea - we are just going to plug on the UV sterilizer on the QT. Hopefully that - and the water changes - fix the problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

We seem to have a new problem. TOday he isn't eating. He is swimming around totally fine - real active and 'happy'. But I threw him in some Saki Hikari and he totally ignored it (this is also what they ate at the store). He didn't eat + spit or anything. He didn't even attempt to eat it. Totally ignored it, like he didn't even see it. :(

I hope this is nothing serious. I already emailed the guy in Holland.

Yesterday I fed Broccoli and I THINK he ate some - I also saw some green poop in the tank today. So a bit he did eat.

Maybe he is very stressed? And this is making the tank smell???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

So the guy answered. Apparently they often see this with the bigger/older fish. They take longer to get accustomed to changes. He sometimes gets fish that wont eat for the entire 2 first weeks of QT! :o

Anyways, my problem has been solved tho as he ATE :)) He just waited for bf and I to leave the room and he gobbled everything up :bingo:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I will look into MB then. I just put it in his tank? Or do I have to move him into a bath?

use it in many ways , for eggs hatching is in with the eggs. for treat general clean for infection or such, a short bath ( bath is an icecream tub of about 1-2 liter) works well, does not upset main tank, is cheaper to dose in smaller quantity and complete control can be maintained during treatment. 1st dip is 10-15 minutes , 2nd day repeat , next day if necessary 30-45 minutes. if infection is suspected then antibiotic can also be added into dip mix.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...