Rigid Airline

flutterbudget

I read this tip and thought it sounded like a really great idea. I hate tubes going everywhere out of control, and my fish always somehow knock them around. Unfortunately, I read that about a day too late. The tank was already full and had a fish in it. But it gave me another idea.

I bought some tubing like this in 5/16ths diameter and some of these from my lfs. I cut the tubing about two inches or so less than the height of my tank. I used a small hacksaw, but you could probably even cut it with a heavy duty pair of scissors. Just make sure you smooth any rough edges (sandpaper works or a nail file) and rinse it to get any little plastic shavings out.

Once it's completely dry, glue one of the connectors onto each end of the tube. I made one using super glue and one using aquarium silicone. I think the silicone is probably a better seal for the longterm, but both are working currently and the super glue certainly has a shorter curing time.

When it is completely cured (doesn't smell like anything) you are ready to hook it up. I ran them down both back corners of my tank and have them attached to two different bubble wands. They are attached to the sides of the tank with suction cups like this (sorry, not a very good pic). I got them at Pet$mart. They are made by Top Fin and they work way better than the other airline suction cups I have tried. I used a short piece of regular airline tubing to connect the rigid tube to the airstone at the bottom and then a long length that runs from the top to my air pump, with a check valve of course. They stay firmly in the corners and can't flap around in the the current, or get knocked down by the fish.

I've had them in there for over a month now with no leaks or other problems, so I thought i would share. I didn't think to take any photos during the process of making them, but I will try to get some of them in the tank when I get a chance.

I use the rigid tubing for many applications. Great for running an airline in the pond for cold Canadian winters, they will not collapse or get squished closed by a fallen rock. I've also used them in fishroom application and run them along wood stands held down by little coaxial cable clamps. Great idea, thanks for sharing...

I use rigid airlines with all my airstones. I just use the normal tubes for the end - to plug to the stone, and for the beginning - out of the pump. It stays a lot more neat in my mind. And I don't need the suction cups as you can position the tube in a corner and it will not move.