Safe Aquarium Ornaments

Deku

Hey guys. I was wondering where I could buy really nice fake plants for sale that look as realistic as possible. Also.... Is it safe to use drift wood? Or those plastic or ceramic ornaments(idk what they're made of. Just think of a hollow ornament. Like that). To an extent you can say its hollow. But its pretty open. Like a bridge(not really the one Iam looking at). Its not like a cave. But its just a fake rock. Its light weight so it doesnt break the tank. But yeah.

as far as artificial plants I prefer the silk ones :) and be careful of hollow ornaments they can harbor lots of stagnant water and other nasties :( I'm more of a less is more in a goldfish Tank kind of girl :) Take a look through out photo galleries and you'll see lots of ideas :)

as far as artificial plants I prefer the silk ones :) and be careful of hollow ornaments they can harbor lots of stagnant water and other nasties :( I'm more of a less is more in a goldfish Tank kind of girl :) Take a look through out photo galleries and you'll see lots of ideas :)

hmk

If you tank is the proper size then adding some fake plants would be ok. Just not to many as they love to swim around the tank. But if your tank is to small long before you worry about that sort of thing you need a larger tank.

I think I have decided I like my goldfish tank as bare as possible. They are more active that way.

If you tank is the proper size then adding some fake plants would be ok. Just not to many as they love to swim around the tank. But if your tank is to small long before you worry about that sort of thing you need a larger tank.

I think I have decided I like my goldfish tank as bare as possible. They are more active that way.

I was thinking of like 10 plants in the back or 5 scattered

I personally like a certain amount of decor in my tanks for my own visual interest, but as Hidr said, it's also really important to give goldfish maximum swimming room. I have two artificial plants in my 29 gallon and 4 in my 46 gallon (2 large, 2 very small), and a couple of ornaments/aeration features in each. The bridge you described should be fine -- if it can't trap water inside it.

If you do decide to use hollow ornaments (I've done so in the past), you can fill the hollow areas with aquarium gravel and seal them with aquarium silicone and/or plastic, which will prevent the water from getting inside.

I personally like a certain amount of decor in my tanks for my own visual interest, but as Hidr said, it's also really important to give goldfish maximum swimming room. I have two artificial plants in my 29 gallon and 4 in my 46 gallon (2 large, 2 very small), and a couple of ornaments/aeration features in each. The bridge you described should be fine -- if it can't trap water inside it.

If you do decide to use hollow ornaments (I've done so in the past), you can fill the hollow areas with aquarium gravel and seal them with aquarium silicone and/or plastic, which will prevent the water from getting inside.

hm. in a 20 long could one put four or five plants?

I only have this fence ornament in one of my tanks and the goldfish likes it. He sleeps behind it at night and goes to hide behind it if scared. So it's good to have at least a little decoration in the tank so they feel more secure. The fence is that plastic/resin stuff you are talking about and I've used it for a few years now.

HPIM2808.jpg

As everybody mentioned above make sure they're not hollow which would restrict water flow thus harboring some nasty strains of bacteria which eventually would be detrimental to your fish. I'm getting to the point of removing most decorations and such from my GF tanks as I want them to have as much space as possible to swim about as well as not displacing water volume. The decorations are going into my tropical tanks. ;)

• Admin

Trust me after having several fish get Dropsy's and popeye you wont want to have hollow ornaments in your tank.... I will never put one in ever again after seeing my Dede fight it three times cause of my silliness :(