What Do You Do Before You Start A Water Change?

Quasi

Lately I've started to wonder whether other people have strange rituals before they start with a water change.

Lets start with my habits :doh11:

First I make sure I'm wearing shoes and the tuck in my pants into my socks. This prevents pants from sucking up 'floorwater' . Certain pants manage to get soaking with from ankle to knee because of capillarity.

Second remove anything whit long sleeves as I have a high tank and to clean it I almost have to submerse my arm till my shoulder. Tank-tops are a great invention :yeah:

Third put a CD of Metallica (or Nightwish, Iced Earth, Manowar...) on. I need 'heavy stuff' to get myself in cleaning mode

:rofl fun thread!

I CLEAN my hands like 100 times. 'Prepare' for any accidents - paper towels, towels, vinegar, phone for 911 etc ! :rofl

Then i get the dogs in their beds so I don't trip on anything/anyone - or at least minimize the risk!

No music, no talking, just absolute concentration! :rofl

Haha, I do the tank top thing too :D

Paper towels are my best friend. I line the carpet with layers of paper towels and always make sure I have a roll or two on standby.

My hair gets slicked back into a tight bun right on the crown of my head. I wear my Hawaiian print shorts and blast some Beyonce and Panic at the Disco. Anything light and dancey will do.

Once the parents came home with some guests, and to their horror, found me dancing in front of the tank in my ratty shorts and my hair donning the classic onion updo. My eyeliner decided to migrate all over my face that day too. Seriously hot stuff :yeah:

Lol! You guys are great!

I guess I haven't really developed a "ritual" yet (give me a little time, I'll get there), but I always put on a short sleeved shirt, get a stack of extra towels, make sure there are no hot wheels cars or legos in "the path", and relocate my laptop that normally sits on the table next to the tank. :mytank1:

Oh yeah, my hair! I forgot! My hair is down to my butt, so I always do tank things with a giant bun on top of my head. I failed to contain it well enough one day and after I was done with my water change I saw a giant long hair caught between a plant and the filter intake! Yuck!

I find one of my shrits with no sleeves or very very short ones. I get in three of my tanks all the way up to my arm pits to reach the bottom. I always put on walking shoes so I don't get cramps in my feet before I am done.

I was my hands and arms really good then I am good to go.

I like this...Here's mine ...

First off clean any dishes from the sink,and hook up thingy ;)

Then make sure hair is up and t shirt sleeves are rolled up as well :)

then turn off all power strips to tanks & remove all hoods/lights and anything else that may need a good rinse :)

roll out the python and get started :)

I put on my old comfy BIG tee shirt & jogging pants (sometimes PJ pants!) then I get my Python all rolled out & hooked up. I take the glass lid & light off of the big tank (it always goes 1st) then clean it real good. Next is the 29 (it's easy Tiger Barbs are ALOT less messy than goldies!!) Then the refill on both. And replacing the lights & decorations.

After I take the Python outside & let all the water out then lay it over my car to dry completely!! Then I roll it up & put it away. This ritual can take around an hour to complete. But it is a regular part of my weekends!!! I actually LIKE doing it!!

I got the phone right near my fish tank, so that helps in case of emergencies. Other than that... I only get a towel that I put under the container that I use to empty the tank.

I remove water only by gravel vacuuming because I'm very anal when it comes to getting rid of poop. I got great water quality in a lightly overstocked tank for a good reason. :)

But sometimes I get the bucket to overflow slightly, which is why I have a towel underneath :D

I usually got music on, and Koko's open just in case.

Oh yeah, and of course I wash my hands and arms really good before I start. I wear whatever I wear, preferably a t-shirt and jeans.

I also got an extra towel to dry off my hands and arms in between.

I start off by putting peanut butter and crushed cookies in the dogs' Kong toys so they won't look at me like they're bored the whole time! Then I lay towels in front of the tank, grab cleaning equipment and line up all of the jugs of clean water. Then, I find something on TV that will amuse me while I work :)

I try and contain the hair in a bun, or else I find it all over the filters and in the tank. :rolleyes: Get into a tank top too and some jogging pants. Lay a small cotton mat on the floor in front of the tank. Set out all my gallons of clean water (I've given up on pails, too heavy) add in the aquaplus. Then I clean my hands and ams with vinegar, ah the marvelous perfume. :rofl Put on any loud and fast music and I get to work trying hard not to siphon up one of the goldies. :rolleyes:

Edited by caitie

I usually clean the big tank on Monday nights, and have "Dancing with the Stars" on in the background. It's one of those shows that I don't watch TOO closely, so it's perfect because I don't have to pay a ton of attention to the TV. (For the record, Bristol Palin needs to be voted off PRONTO.)

Hair goes up in a ponytail. Short sleeves are a must. I remove the lid first, and wipe it down with paper towels to remove any algae. Fake plants or ornaments with algae or diatoms get yanked and scrubbed in the sink. Thorough gravel vacuuming with my Python, then refill. The whole process takes about 45 minutes, unless I'm also cleaning one of the canister filters.

This is going to sound rather strange but I just get wet through whatever I wear so now I carry out my water changes and tank cleaning in just my undies! :yikes I can't stand cold wet clothes on my skin so I crank up the heating, put something on the TV, hair scraped back, towels all over the floor and we are good to go!

Crickey I don't know what I would do if someone came to the door! :peeka

Steve has often witnessed my tank cleaning routine and he hasn't backed out of the wedding yet! He has got five months to change his mind! :wub:

• Admin

i do mine normally in the mornings..... i try to do them before my shower so i dont have deodorant on :o did that once wasnt pretty :o what a mess.

Then i make sure I have a short sleeve shirt on, get my python going out the door, then turn the power off to the tank, and the sucking starts. As its draining I clean one filter, then hook the python to the sink, start filling it up, but my buff it up in and some amquel.... once the tank is about 2 inch from the top, turn on the tank power again, put some water in my filters, top off the tank and whalla Im done.

Normally there is news in the back ground :)

First part is always to make sure the dogs are outside. They like to help with the waterbuckets... :)

I usually like to clean the tanks before my 6 year old son comes home from school. That way I can make sure there's no soccer balls or other stuff covering the floor. Believe me it's no fun falling over one of those with 2 full water buckets in your hands.... been there. lol

Other than that : lots of paper towels. And peace and quiet. I was even tempted a few times to disconnect the phone because for some reason everybody calls when I'm up to my armpits in the fish tank. :)

First thing I do, the night before is get 3 / 5 gallon buckets full. Let them sit to room temp. Then i pull out my small step ladder, tray,3 empty 5gallon buckets and a couple of towels. I usually try to just have some music on as background, right now it's Disturbed. I scrape the sides clean, let it settle for about 10 minutes and they start the process.

First I wash out the kitchen sink, then my hands and arms with a natural, non-toxic dish soap and rinse real good. Lay down a towl on the counter and have another, smaller towel to wipe any drips off the outside of tanks/stands as I want them to look nice with no water stains. Short sleeve shirts are definitely preferred. I use a siphon to get out all the debris and vacuum the gravel/sand. Got a little scrubby pad made for aquariums I use to scrub the inside down so there's never any scummy looking patches or water line showing. Fill a big bowl from tap with temp matched water, add dechlorinator and pour into tank repeatedly til full. Rearrange plants, rocks, etc. and turn back on the filters. Then sit back and enjoy watching my fishies in their sparkly clean homes! :fishtank:

• Supporter

i just wait until everyone's in bed, cat is out and there is no movement in the house.. i empty 25 % clean the glass with presoaked absobent papertowling (you know, the one that doesn't fall apart) wait about 20 mins, and siphon somemore!.. in the 20 mins whilst i wait for the glass stuff to hit the gravel, i just sink my hands into the tank and allow the fish to play.. (bonding time).. whilst i "fillerup" i watch as they play in the bubbles and enjoy my company..

ATTENTION PEOPLE WITH BUCKETS!! Do yourself (& your back) a favor and get a Python! If is a GREAT investment. That goes DOUBLE for U.K. Becs...stop runnin' around in your unmentionables!!!!! :doh11:

That goes DOUBLE for U.K. Becs...stop runnin' around in your unmentionables!!!!! :doh11:

Well...I don't do anything special...

BUT now my interest is peaked with Becs! :tomato:

Tell me more, Becs! Heehee

I wonder if there are people who give themselves liquid courage first...

That would provoke a person to fall in the tank, yes? But at least you could clean the inside of the tank though! :tomato: