What Type Of Filter For Fancy Goldfish In 168?

Hey everyone. This is my first post so take it easy on me. I have a 168 gallon glass tank that I will put fancy goldfish in it. I was wondering what would be the best filter or filters I can use. I'm leaning towards 2 110 HOB filters or a FX5. I really like the FX5 but I'm worried about too much water movement from the outlet hose and too much suction from the inlet hose. I was thinking that I can rig a piece of pvc pipe and drill it with holes for the outlet pipe as well as drill holes in another pvc pipe for the inlet hose. Any help will be greatly appreciated, The Doctor.

Edited by Dr_Shakalu

You will need approximately 1680 gallons of filtration per hour. I would recommend aquaclear. 3 Aqua clear 110s would give you 1500 gallons per hour but it would get pricey. Then you could find something else to make up for the extra 180 gallons.

You will need approximately 1680 gallons of filtration per hour. I would recommend aquaclear. 3 Aqua clear 110s would give you 1500 gallons per hour but it would get pricey. Then you could find something else to make up for the extra 180 gallons.

The FX5 is rated for 400 gallons. Would that not be enough?

Edited by Dr_Shakalu

That one puts out 925 GPH so it still wouldn't be enough by itself. Then another aquaclear 110 and another HOB should give you an equal 1680. You'll want more than one filter so no dead zones are created in the tank. Hopefully someone else with more experience with canisters might be able to come help out some more.

You would still need one more filter.

For my 180, I have three Penguin 400 pros and two AC 70s. I haven't set it up yet but I have one of each of the filters on my 55 and love them both so far. I don't use the cartridges that came with the penguin though, I stuffed sponges in there instead.

Ok the filter question is answered. I vote you put in about 10 fantials. That way you have lots of extra water space if some of them become monsthers.:exactly

Or orandas, Hidr. Hehehe...:heart