Sick Goldfish. Haven't All Relevant Details Unfortunatly.

muxer107

Hi,

Firstly I would like to say sorry for not having all the information required by you guys, but I'm hoping if I can describe whats happened, you will be able to help me.

I've had my goldfish in a small sized tank for about 12 years. No air filter and I cleaned the water once a week. He was always very happy and lively and responds when I get the food out :)

About 6 months ago, I noticed that he had some red streaks in his tale. Then about a month later he started to get agitated and damaged his tale, he actually managed to rip part of it off. The fish was clearly in distress and it appeared he had some sort of 'skin' disease. I got some generic disease stuff from the vets that they recommended, but this didn't help. I went out and purchased a new,medium sized bowl with oxygen filter thing (proper name?) and he started to respond well. Apart from some algae which has started growing on his new tank (because of the all the oxygen I presume), everything has been going well. His tail has even nearly fully grown back now.

Anyway, I've noticed for a while that his swimming has been getting more and more off balance. I started to realise that he was using one of the trees in the tank to keep his tail side down. It appears that his tail side has more buoyancy and he has to fight to stay at the bottom. This has escalated now to where the fish sleeps in a "handstand" fashion. His mouth is on the ground and his tail is in the air. He is clearly 'aware' that he cannot get himself right at the bottom and tries to do his best before going to sleep.

Any ideas of any treatments that could help with this?

Please feel free to ask any more questions.

Hello and welcome to kokos! :)

I'm not sure what's going on with your goldie, but as far as I know if it's swim bladder disease, peas help. Have you tried feeding him some peas (without the shell)?

I'm sure that more experienced members will come around soon and give you good advice :)

Edited by npila1

Hello and welcome to Kokos :)

The problems you have been seeing are due to extremely poor water quality. The red streaks indicate ammonia poisoning due to inadequate space and water for your fish. A bowl is NEVER ok to keep a goldfish in. It's tiny and cramped and it will stunt their growth, insufficient surface area to get oxygen from, and simply not enough water due to the wastes they produce. Common/comet goldfish need 20 gallons EACH and should be kept in ponds if you can help it. Fancies need 10 gallons each or rather 20 gallons for the first fancy and 10 for each one after that. Goldfish need a filter most definitely.

First to rectify this problem I would go and get the largest tank you possibly can, I can assure you this is just due to poor living conditions and ammonia poisoning from his own wastes and he will perk right up with clean water. If you are able to get a new tank we can continue from there :D I really hope things work out for you and your sweet fish.

• 1 month later...

How's your goldie doing? I hope he feels better soon. Let us know how it's going!

He still has the floating issue and the one cloudy eye, but he hasn't gotten any worse. His tail has completely grown back :)

I can't afford a bigger tank nor do I have somewhere to put it.

I can't believe goldfish need as much room as previously mentioned. I feel so bad now.

That's alright, most of us started out completely wrong because we all thought we "knew" everything. You can also get a big food safe plastic tub to house him until you have the money for a tank.

Those tubs are very cheap and work perfectly fine. You can even keep it on the floor for now until you have somewhere to put it. A computer desk works too if you can make some room on it. Even if you can only get a 15 gallon tub or even only 10 (I'd recommend at least 15 though since you have no sufficient filter for him), this will majorly help. If you have him in a bowl right now, this would be like you living in a tiny bathroom with a toilet that is being flushed only once weekly, if you get my hint. Having a bigger tub would be like having a small house to live in. :)

Good luck, and keep us updated!

• 1 month later...

Cloudy eye is really all about filter maintenance and water getting high in organic load. So your new schedule of more and larger water changes should eventually cure that. Unfortunately, unlike fin re growth it takes quite a lot more time to correct. Months.

The balance issues are related in this case probably to some swimbladder malfunction...as the fish "breathes" in water that has a lot of bacteria (good and bad bacteria in all water) it has problems utilizing the other gases that help maintain balance. So this too is connected to water organics, "thick" water.

I should keep up with the good fresh water and make sure your fish has lots of aeration, bubbles on the surface of the water, and more water volume as soon as you can afford to upgrade :D.