Is This Ich?

Guest mino

[*]Water temperature? 80 degrees ish

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40 gallon running for 4 years

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? eclipse right size H filters

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? water change once a month @ 30% to 40%

[*]How many fish, their size? 2 large comets (6 inch's) one 3 inch oranda (new fish) 3 long fin black skirt tetra, 2 pepper cory cat fish (1 inch) and one 3 inch angel fish

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? water conditioner and aquarium salt with every water change

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? tetras and angel fish get tropical flakes, gold fish get goldfish disks, and sinking shrimp pellets and sinking ciclid pellets (rotated) I feed my fish once a day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? Yes! a sickly large oranda I brought home from work that I was trying to bring back from deaths doorstep. He had peeling flaky looking skin and black popped blood vessels on his face and a tail that had pink streaks/blood vessels, was originally thought all this was due to lack of oxygen from poor packaging from the supplier

[*]Any medications added to the tank? first I used quick cure once for 24 hours than followed it with fizzing parasite clear tabs added to the tank 2 times over a week (yes I removed the carbon)

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Yes, on both of my comet goldfish especially on my orange goldfish "mino" white pimple like spots on the top and sides of his head!

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Yes! he was having what looked like seizures for 2 days prier to treating the tank with parasite clear and he was darting to the surface if the water occasionally, but he was eating normal

My Question is this: What are the white pimple looking things on my large comets? I have had them both for 6 years or more with little problems.

I think it is ich based on my research but thought it could passable be velvet?

And why had all this occurred AFTER I treated the tank with quick cure and parasite cure? And why was my comet having what looked like seizures!

Any help in diagnosing and treating my tank would be much appreciated. I love my fish. Thanks

Do you have any photos? Ich literally looks like grains of salt stuck to the fish, not really like pimples.

Also your tank setup is not helping the fish. The temperature is WAY too warm for goldfish, and so goldfish should also not be kept together with tropical fish. Goldfish should not constantly be in salted water either as it will only make diseases immune to salt, but salt is important during many disease treatments.

There also are too many fish in the tank. Each adult comet needs 20 gallons for himself.

Having all these fish in there affects the water quality and make the fish more prone to disease.

Water changes should happen weekly, and in an overstocked tank like yours even bi-weekly at least 50%

All this most likely plays a major role in the condition of your fishies!

Do you happen to have a test kit for the water so you can check the parameters?

:)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang