Junior Kokonut

He does want more fish, but he's really good at understanding that they need space and only certain kinds can "be friends" together. He sees ones he likes from time to time, but he has his heart set on a ranchu. Our lfs's almost never get them in, but there is one right now he keeps talking about. It's a calico about 5 inches long or so. It's priced at $60, but it's been there for about three months now and they told me last time we were in they'd let me have it for $40. I think it's pretty cute, but my husband doesn't like it's color pattern, or the price tag. He also thinks it's too big. It IS like huge compared to our other two. Stanley is about the size of it's tail. So for now we have agreed to keep our eyes out for a baby ranchu. Come to think of it, I'd been holding off posting about that fish because I was afraid of the enabling. Oops! :whistle

:ehh :ehh Afraid? You have to go out and find yourself a nice big man for the tank! Don't be "afraid". (Don't forget to read my disclaimer!)

:rofl But in all seriousness it probably would be better to get a baby. :) The big boy might be a bully if there's no other fish around his size.

Edited by Haruka

Yeah, afraid. lol. Next thing I know Dennis will be in here too... :donthit:

From what I have seen it always seems like a very docile and laid back fish. But it is in a tank by itself now and it's tankmate before was bigger than my guys. So, yeah, I really have no way of knowing if it would be a bad deal or not. Also, the baby ones are fun.

:ehh I'll have to make a special 'request'

How big is your tank now and how are the others faring for now? If they're doing well now I would let them be for awhile and then wait for that jaw dropping dream fish of yours. :D

It's a 30. I'll upgrade, but I probably have to wait until spring so I think it's better to stick with little guys if I'm going to get another anyway. And they are doing great together so far. The bigger one is at least two, but lived in very poor conditions and seems like he is just learning how to "be a fish". The little oranda is zippy and fun and growing fast.

Your son sounds absolutely adorable! :heart

yeah I would stick with the guys you have now in the 30 which is a great amount of space for them and let them grow up some and then look for those dream fish of yours and your son's. That'd be too cute! How are your water params and how often do you feed a day? Since they're little you can do a few small meals a day, and what do you feed them? I had some great success with that method with Ludwig. He's getting some insane wen growth for a little baby.

Edited by Haruka

The water parameters have been pretty good. I'm having some trouble with whether or not it is actually cycling. I thought it seemed like its still not, but koko thinks its almost there (I have both ammonia and nitrates in my tap water, so it's weird). I'm just changing water when in doubt. So it's been about .25/0/5 lately. We are feeding usually twice a day. Hikari oranda gold (soaked and squished so they sink), peas, spinach, assorted veggies, occasional fruit, hikari frozen krill.

Excellent excellent! Hopefully that cycle will pull through for you and they should start growing fast with such a lovely diet. Have you tried any of those bacteria supplements that you can put in the filter? I've had success with nutrafin cycle, and I've heard tetrafin safe start works well too. If you have plants in the tank that should be helping as well with eating up any ammonia and nitrate. You are doing so well! Especially with your little Kokos member in training

:ehh Now to train him in the enabling business.

Aw, thanks! I've been using Seachen Stability. I can't really tell if it's making a difference or not. And I have some anacharis (it's actually rooting itself!) and an anubias. I think they are definitley sucking up some nitrates at least. I'm wanting to get some java fern and maybe a moss ball too.

Edit: 100 posts! Woot!

Edited by flutterbudget

Just on an enabling note, ranchus are much slower than other fancies so a bigger one might be a good idea. ;) And my experience with baby ranchus from stores that don't normally carry them is not good. Just my 2 cents. :peeka